New to surfing...help needed for perfect 2022 Z3 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to surfing...help needed for perfect 2022 Z3 setup

We are new to the surf scene and purchased a 2022 Tigé Z23 last year. We didn't get the boat until the middle of the summer, and I never had a chance to really dial in the surf wave. Everyone talks about how the Z3 produces a great sporty wave with a lot of push, but I could never get it right. When we would run a mellow wave on the Taps3T for the kids, it would never be very clean. When I would surf (6' 5", 240 lbs), it felt like the only way I could get enough push was with a steeper wave, but it was very short. I would be immediately behind the swim platform; the wave was never very clean again.
    My family loves this boat, and I want to love it too, but I need help with the setup. Since I am a novice, I use the Go system without many adjustments. I found a forum online that discussed the setup on older models of the Z3, but nothing since they re-released the Z series. Since we typically ride with only 4 - 6 people when surfing, I added 500 lbs of lead(read this on a forum for a 2016 Z3). 150 lbs on the port and starboard quarter, 150 lbs on the storage locker on the port side, and 50 lbs on the storage locker on the starboard side.
    I am seeking advice from some more experienced surfers on setting up the boat for this upcoming season. How do I get a cleaner longer wave? Should I take more water out of the ballast in the front to get more bow rise? Would increasing the speed get a longer wave when I am surfing? Is the added lead necessary? What is the perfect setting for the center tab?
    I don't want to sound desperate, but I am. I hope someone can provide great insight to ensure an incredible summer on the lake this year.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

To get a cleaner longer wave, bump your speed from 10.8 to 11.4.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Lee! Would I run 100% ballast across the boat still? Tab at 3?

Comment

Yes. I would fill all and maybe one step down from steep at 11.4mph. You can do small adjustments by moving the human ballast around.

Comment

I have 500lbs of lead under the rear bags (250 each side) and a 400lbs fat sack that sits below the rear seat. Rear 100% full and between 50-75% on the bow. I ride between 10.8 - 11.2. Taps between 3-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ipm983; 02-25-2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

P.s. only use the 400 fat sac when I have light crew. If there’s more than 4 ppl on the boat.. I still use it…
            Last edited by ipm983; 02-25-2023, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ipm983 View Post
              I have 500lbs of lead under the rear bags (250 each side) and a 400lbs fat sack that sits below the rear seat. Rear 100% full and between 50-75% on the bow. I ride between 10.8 - 11.2. Taps between 3-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Thanks for the feedback, ipm983. With the fat sack and the bow between 50% and 75%, are you using a lot of bow rise to get the wave bigger? I wondered if the convex hull didn't require as much bow rise.

Thanks for the feedback - appreciated!!

Comment

UWzach , we’re also new to the surf boat lifestyle and have been working through things on our 2022 Z3 this season. We also typically ride with 4 onboard and have worked through some options that have cleaned up our wave significantly. As far as the length, still working through that myself. Here’s what we’ve had some success with:
                Wave on Lvl 3, Taps at 4. When riding with 4 I have been dropping my off side rear ballast to 70%. Leaving the surf side and bow at 100%. We’ve kept our speed at 11mph but may try the increase to 11.4 as suggested above.

With the above setup, the surf side wave has cleaned up super nice. Time to switch sides does take a min, but the system reacts pretty quick if your driver knows how and when to make the adjustments.

Hope this helps. Have a great season!!Hey
                Last edited by Kraken2599; 05-29-2023, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X