Knock Sensor Stripped Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock Sensor Stripped Threads

Need a little help here. I pulled my knock sensors this weekend to winterize, cleaned off the old Permatex thread sealant and didn't see anything unusual with the threads on the sensors. Went to re-apply the thread sealant and put the sensors back in, got about half turn by hand then wrenched a few more turns and I could feel the sensor lose it's bite and it slipped out. Looked at the threads and saw the first two threads were stripped out. Tried the other sensor briefly in same hole, but didn't feel good about it so I stopped. Didn't even try the other side yet, but threads have never looked like this so I didn't want to cause anymore damage. I've done this same process for 10 years with no issues until now. It's always been a very tight fit and not incredibly easy to turn in the fitting but always seated and never leaked.
    Can I save the knock sensors at this point? Do I need to attempt to re-thread both the sensor and female fitting at the block? Anyone know the proper size, pitch, etc. (5.7L PCM 343 engine)? Seems to measure 1/2" diam. out to out on threads. Is this something I can do or do I need to take it to a shop?
    Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Here are some pictures of both sensors and both female fittings...
    Badly stripped sensor:
    Stripped Knock Sensor.jpg
    Other sensor:
    Knock Sensor OK.jpg

Female hole in which sensor stripped:
    Bad Female Side.jpg

Opposite side female hole:
    Good Female Side.jpg

1/4" NPT should fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X