Went to Perris and found...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Perris and found...

For those of you who followed the Castaic thread here's an update on a few things: we went to Perris on Sunday (believe me I spent several hours vacuuming and drying all areas of the boat and Perris' inspection was smooth and easy) and ran with the repaired prop plus I purchased a new one from Germaine to keep as a spare ( Thank you Jason, Brad and Bill!!!). Saw a fellow Tige' owner with what appeared to be a red 22V early 2000's vintage and had to help a new MasterCraft owner get jump started at the ramp (jumper pack saves the day again!!!) Interestingly, our repaired prop only had a 1 - 2 cup on it and comparing it to the new one (Acme 2419, same as the repaired) I noticed it had a 3 - 7 cup. I spoke with the tech at Wilmington and they explained the prop appeared to only have had a 1 - 2 cup when I brought it in so I reinstalled it on the boat and took note. Upon acceleration it was immediately apparent the prop needed more cup as it aerated easily when I added ballast, okay no big deal. The unfortunate discovery of the day was the appearance of a new vibration that I could only associate with the previous trip's submerged object strike. Damn. It was barely noticeable but it was there so I decided to run anyway. We had a great day including 75* air temp and 75* water and got some new friends up for the first time.

Fast forward to Monday and I put the dial indicator on the trailer below the shaft and checked fore and aft of the strut. Both were within .001". Moved up to near where the hull penetration is and whammo, .015" out... (sad facepalm). Further inspection of the shaft revealed both the strut and shaft had been replaced prior to our purchase of the boat (looked like a 3 year old with 5200 got under the boat) and it appears the incorrect shaft was installed (too long) during the repair. I'll do a write up with photos and specifications for those of you who don't want your insurance premiums to increase. I'll list repair costs as well but this one looks like it will only top out at $800 so food for though if you're mechanically inclined.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Glad to hear you made it out! I’ll be out there this Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X