Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop Strut Removal Help - 21i

Hello,
    I am hoping someone might be able to provide some guidance on removing the strut from the hull. It is on a 2001 21i, which has a recess that the strut sits in. All 6 bolts have been removed and I have sprayed the edges with De-bond like crazy. I dont seem to be making any progress. I have read that I dont want to put too much pressure on the strut to not further damage the gel coat. I have tried pushing thin, sharp metal objects under the strut with little luck, the recess is not making things any easier. I have also tried pulling floss through with zero luck as well (didnt have fishing line). Any further ideas?
    Thank you,
    Chris

Heat is your friend. I will also just insert the shaft back into the strut and use it as a pry bar. Depending on what it originally got mounted with you may have no choice but to peel off some gel coat with it.
    A MAP/propane torch to the strut itself and let it heat soak then pry.

Comment

Ok, I am gonna give it a try tomorrow. I first have to clean off all that flammable De-bond off thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Worked like a charm. Used a strap from the strut to the trailer and put some tension on it. Took maybe 5-8 minutes of heat from the heat gun. Then it peeled right off. Thank you for the help!

Comment

Use 3M 4000 or 4200 on the new strut, not 5200.

Comment

Yeah, what Lee said. There is absolutely no need to use 5200 on ANYTHING related to these boats.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
            X