Future Indmar Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Indmar Engines

Just a few days ago, Ford announced its 2023 Super Duty lineup. In the announcement, the 6.2L Boss engine is no longer an option; instead replaced by a new 6.8L engine based on the 7.3L Godzilla engine. I would imagine that Indmar will have a supply of 6.2L engines for a little while, but eventually the supply will end. So what will Indmar do, marinize the 6.8 or 7.3 or do they go to a different engine manufacturer?

Hopefully they move to the 6.8L. The 7.3L gas platform has many advantages over the 6.2L. Simplicity, overall packaging size relative to displacement, much better power output at lower Rpms, and increased durability, and its quieter to name a few. To me, simplicity in a marine engine is more important than raw output numbers. I appreciate the fact that the 7.3 & 6.8 do not utilize direct injection.

Comment

Ford will have to keep supporting the 6.2 for a while. I've heard rumors of a godzilla package which I'd be thrilled about. Staying away from GDI is the way to be IMO as a mechanic. 7.3 also retains VVT but is able to do it with a single cam phaser. The 7.3 really seemed to be developed by Ford to be more geared for making higher torque at lower RPMs which is exactly what weighted surf boats need

Comment

Working...
      X