Anyone wake surf Castaic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone wake surf Castaic?

So we brought the boat home to Southern California for some prettying-up and other stuff. Never been to Castaic to surf and Perris is closed this weekend for a private event so off to Castaic. I suck at boating and was looking to see if anyone had input like "Don't go , it's a mud puddle." or "Go, the launch ramp is a hoot." or "Go, the fishermen love it when you roll by at 11.2MPH with 4800lbs of ballast...". Any input is appreciated.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

I used to boat castaic years ago..: and from what I remembered… it’s beautiful! Not like perris where jet skiers are all over the place, they have a private area just for jet skiers only. Just make sure you’re good for the boat inspection… last time at perris, they checked my ballast bags for water and didn’t let me in… some could be real sticklers about it.

Perris has this big music festival going on Thur-Mon and won’t let anyone that’s not part of the festival in

Comment

If they do have an inspection station, just make sure your plug is out, everything (hull, vests, ropes, ballast bags) are dry. Tahoe is the only california lake we use that has an invasive species inspection station, but they are sticklers, if it’s anything like them. I find the biggest incline I can find before I go, park on it, jump in the boat and hit my bilge and empty all on ballast. It will generally spit some water out of the ballast, which we’ve only had them check on level ground, by hitting empty all, which nothing will come out, if you drained them on a hill. I’ve never had them do a ballast flush, because they’ve never found any water in mine. I’m not sure how many people deal with inspections, but it can be a nightmare, or ruin your day on the water, if you aren’t ready for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks guys. I pulled all the bags and emptied them and then have them in a box in the truck for after inspection.

Comment

Oh yeah! You should be good! Make sure that bad boy is dry (engine compartment, bilge areas) good luck and let us know how castaic is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a good way to do the ballast bags! If I didn’t have to move 114 orange vests to get to mine, I might go that route on inspections.

I’m curious how that lake is too. My SoCal buddies and I keep talking about finding a lake somewhere between us, to meet at, which it would be closer to them, but I wouldn’t have to drive as far as They are in Temecula and San Diego, at least. I’m not sure how visible it is from the 5, but I’ve driven past there 100 times, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I go to Castaic often. It’s good, not great. Perfect if you don’t live too far away and just want to surf for a few hours and head home. That said they just did some maintenance on the dam and drained pretty much half the lake, so this year the lake is half empty and pretty small and underwhelming.

Comment

So...about Castaic invasive inspection...I spent the entire week prior cleaning and drying out the boat, went through every square inch of the bilge, removed the ballast bags and drained them manually (also installed poly cam locks on all to facilitate this operation in the future) vacuumed every drop of water, dried all carpet and put the cover on her the night before so the dew wouldn't cause an issue. Well, the dew caused an issue and there was a drop of water on my drain plug thread, obviously from the dew that had dripped off the swim step because the bilge was completely dry, at the center trim plate and they said "NOPE!!!" So I looked at the large smelling of patchouli short sighted liberal and asked the question of the year..."Does the stupid hurt yet?" and drove off to Piru where we had a great day on a small lake until... I pulled my trailer to the open area of the launch ramp so someone else could use the dock if needed and 5' from getting the boat loaded "WHAM!" the prop hit a rock and stopped the engine. My heart sank because I knew what it meant and my better half looked at me like, "WTF just happened?!!!"

The moral of the story, Commiefornia gets no more of my boat money, this place is a joke.

Comment

That just blows my mind. One little drop of water on the plug and you're toast. I work in the boating industry and never does a boat actually have a dry bilge let alone the plugs actually taken out.

How's the prop?

Comment

Yup, 1 drop of water or ANY sign of wetness. The inspector even said "While driving in this morning through the fog I knew we were going to ruin some people's days." Serious WTF to this idiotically governed state. What's worse, the invasive species doesn't really have any adverse affects.

Pulled the prop this afternoon and it goes off to Wilmington Propeller tomorrow and I'll see if it's repairable. Shocking how incredibly bad it turned into a taco at idle. I have a couple coupons from Acme from the reunions so I'll see if they can throw me a bone on the obvious spare I'm going to be carrying from now on.

Comment

I would rather my prop turn into a taco than bend the shaft/strut and vdrive alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                        Yup, 1 drop of water or ANY sign of wetness. The inspector even said "While driving in this morning through the fog I knew we were going to ruin some people's days." Serious WTF to this idiotically governed state. What's worse, the invasive species doesn't really have any adverse affects.

Pulled the prop this afternoon and it goes off to Wilmington Propeller tomorrow and I'll see if it's repairable. Shocking how incredibly bad it turned into a taco at idle. I have a couple coupons from Acme from the reunions so I'll see if they can throw me a bone on the obvious spare I'm going to be carrying from now on.
                        I have no clue where the common sense is, at these inspections, obviously if there only 1 drop of water, on the exterior of the boat, they isn’t invasive species in that drop off water. At least at tahoe, if they find water, they flush everything with like 160° water to kill anything, and you’re good to go. It takes longer, and is a pain, but your day isn’t over. None of the other lakes in california, that we use, even have inspection stations. They just make sure your plug is out at the Ag inspection station coming in to the state. We use 8 or 10 California lakes, and I’ve never been checked, with the exception of Tahoe. It’s too bad that state is so awesome, as far as geography, because everything else is completely asinine!!!

Comment

Dang! I heard castaic inspection was pretty bad… but that’s ridiculous… luckily perris is not that bad… sorry to hear that man! Hopefully all gets fixed soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X