Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help assessing the value of my boat (blisters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help assessing the value of my boat (blisters)

Unfortunately, my boat is too big for the lake we recently moved to (I'm pissing off my neighbors). It's particularly the surf wave, but the "normal" wave is bigger than anything this lake sees. It's basically just big enough to have motorized boats. We don't want to move, so we need to downsize the boat and I need some advice in assessing its value. It is a 2007 24ve with the 340hp MP. It has been garaged it's entire life except for the winter of 2020. The interior is in good condition for it's age. It has some minor scratches, but overall it's great. I pulled out the carpet and got a sheet of dekadence that is rough cut, but not fully installed yet. Chpthril hooked me up with custom port/stb sacks that are plumbed with dashboard controls. I have a bow sack and hose, but it isn't installed yet. It has FAE, 4 tower speakers, shower, heater, wet sounds blu tooth, the bimini and cover are still in good shape and the trailer is ok. Engine runs well, although it's recently developed an intermittent starting issue. Standard maintenence was just completed; fluids, new plugs, wires, distributor, coil, fuel filter, water pump impeller, etc. The only complication is that it developed osmotic blisters while it was in our lake the summer of 2021. Over winter they dried out and reduced some, but there is still quite a bit of small cosmetic blisters in the gelcoat. Otherwise, the fiberglass has a couple of nicks and could use a good buff/wax job. Looking at similar listings, I havn't seen any boats with blistering and don't have an idea how that would impact the value. Without the blistering, I'd say I was firmly in the upper 30k's, maybe more.

This group has been awesome for advice, info and laughs since we joined the family! I'd really appreciate some "final" advice from this community while we're going through this fairly stressful transition. Thank you very much!

Asked a different way, how much does the presence of blisters decrease the value of the boat? Should I disclose them in the sales listing?

Comment

Fwiw, I see 22/24ve in the 2007 range going for about 40k with a trailer most places. not sure if they are selling, but listing there.

I would disclose any and all things going on with the boat. If the blisters are cosmetic, have a gel coat person give you some kind of letterhead confirming this. If the boat has a mechanical issue, tell whoever buys it they will need to address it.

If I bought a boat from you and a month later it intermittently would not start, id certainly be frustrated, especially if you knew about it.

If the boat was mint and would sell for 42.5, sell it for 38.5 and disclose the problems. Everyone will feel better about the deal that way. What do you care about 2-4 grand you would spend to fix the issue yourself anyways right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X