Access Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Fuel Tank

My fuel gauge is not reading right. I want to get access to the fuel sender in the fuel tank and inspect it because I think it's what's causing the problem. How do I remove the panel of floor covering the fuel tank? I can see the carpet is cut around it, but how to I pull it off? I do not want to rip up the carpet just so I can see where the screws are. This is on a 2004 Tige 20v Switch.

IMG_7638.jpg

Thank you. If there are screws in the front corners, would they be on the surface just under the carpet? Any tricks to finding them without having to peel back the brand new carpet I just had put in?

Comment

I paid someone to recarpet so I never saw it.

It's pretty much stuck on 3/4, it did go down some, like just above 1/2 after I burned 21 gallons out of 38. It never goes to full.

Comment

Haha, I am almost a little bit embarrassed I even asked the question. That was about the easiest thing in the world I have ever done. It wasn't even screwed down. Now I just need to figure out why the fuel sender is stuck.
        IMG_7639.jpg

Comment

fuel.jpg I'm in a similar situation with 2001 21i, I think the red circle I drew is where the sender might be, but if that's right, how do you get to it?

fuel.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lowrider; 03-01-2023, 12:06 AM. Reason: Found it

Comment

Anyone know the sending unit model?
            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

duffymahoney if you Google Universal marine sender there are lots out there and you just trim the float arm to length. Mueller also makes really nice senders that will work. You just need to know the length you will need.

lowrider just cut a small + in the carpet over the sender and pull it out.

Comment

duffymahoney having issues editing, Moeller....not Mueller

Comment

freeheel4life Thanks. You mention cutting a + in carpet, but there is also a wooden board underneath the carpet. Shall I cut a hole in that too and hope the sensor is there?

Comment

lowrider hmmmm.....I've never encountered a board before. In my experience when the sender is buried under carpet you can feel the top of the sender and its 2 wires just under the carpet.

I'd pull the piece of floor between the engine hatch and that bulkhead and stick my head down in there and see if I could confirm the sender is under the board you are feeling. If it is then you know the carpet youre gonna have to cut to get to it

Comment

**"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1268651","data-size":"full"} A follow up for anyone searching this. I’ve attached a photo to show the revealed gas tank for 2001 21i. You can see the sender on the left of photo (starboard aft of boat). Hope that helps.
                      Last edited by lowrider; 03-01-2023, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Heads up to those of you replacing your fuel senders, buy the WEMA sending unit for your tank depth and forget about it. Most importantly though, the holes for the sending unit are indexed and will only install 1 way. That means 1 hole may line up and the others not. Just spin the sender until all 5 line up.
                        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                        X