Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat turns right if the steering wheel is let go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat turns right if the steering wheel is let go.

I just purchased a 2005 Tige 24V Rider's Edition. When under power and I let go of the steering wheel, the steering wheel and the boat turn right.
    Is there any adjustment I can make to correct this issue or part to replace?

Thanks,
    BigSky

I’m going to go with no. My steering wheel is always a quarter turn to the left. The prop rotation pulls the boat right. I came from a stern drive and it took some getting used to for me.. (2007 22ve). When I asked about it on here I got a general consensus of “normal”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 2007 22ve stays dead straight when I let go of the wheel...

Comment

Originally posted by SurfinSnipes View Post
        My 2007 22ve stays dead straight when I let go of the wheel...
        No kidding? Huh…. Well mine will definitely turn by itself. I guess now I’ll watch this thread and see if it’s me. Heh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My RZ2 does this too. So did my old Mastercraft. Just a slow pull to the right if I let go of the wheel at speed. It’s never really been an issue so I’ve never really worried about it. I always assumed it had something to do with the rotation of the prop or something like that.

Comment

Thanks folks. My apologies for not being more detailed. This is not a slow pull, drift or gradual turn. It is an immediate pretty hard 180 turn. Shouldn't there be some resistance in the steering in the turning of the wheel? I can't locate any diagrams/parts list for the steering system .

Comment

My 2005 22i drives straight if I let go of the wheel. Steering doesn't necessarily need to have resistance although it will get stiffer over time as the steering cable ages. I replaced mine a few years ago and it's beginning to stiffen up again. Only schematic you'll likely find will show the rack attached to the wheel under the helm and the cable running to the rear and rudder. In your stern drive, it likely runs under the fuel tank unless a previous owner rerouted it. Not sure why it's turning sharply as it's just a stiff cable that moves back and forth to alter the rudder.

Comment

Welcome big sky!! Your steering cable/helm have been replaced with a no feedback system and as a result, it's super easy to turn but you've got to hold the wheel all the time.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Boatwakes,
                  Thank you for information. Please forgive my "newbie" question, but is this a missing part they didn't replace or something that is a part of the steering cable?

Thanks,
                  BigSky

Comment

Sorry boatwakes. I think I know the answer to my question.

Comment

If it’s a immediate hard turn to the right I’d take a look under the boat. Maybe you have a bent rudder or tracking fin. I found an old thread on the board here where a guy had a bent tracking fin and it was causing the same problem.

Comment

Hey bigsky,

It's how the no-feedback systems work and my guess is the previous owner was tired of the tension of the previously tight steering so they installed that.
                        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks boatwakes. You don't happen to have a manufacture/part number for a steering cable that I can replace it with over the off season? I also need to align the steering wheel with the rudder straight. .
                          2005 Tige 24V Rider's Edition

Thanks others. I will take a look at the fins also. They looked straight while on the trailer, but I didn't look at them super close.
                          Even though my arms are a bit tired holding the steering wheel straight, having fun with the boat!

Thanks again,
                          BigSky

Comment

Just for everyone's information. Looked at the fins on the bottom of the boat and they looked pretty straight. Tried to take pictures of the steering cable assembly to bet the installed model number without my glasses on. From the pictures I can see the manufacturer was Seastar Solutions but didn't see a model number. I will try to take pictures of the top of the assembly and where I can see the cable for the model numbers. Replacement will have to wait until the off season. Short term I need to align the steering wheel with the rudder better. Going to send one of the kiddos in the water and get the rudder as close to neutral as possible. Pull of the steering wheel and put it back on as close to "center" as possible.

Comment

Working...
                            X