2000 Tige 22i intermittent starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Tige 22i intermittent starting issue

I just purchased my first boat and I am currently learning my way around it.

When I start the boat, it turns over easily every time. However, about every third time I will turn the key and everything will beep as normal and then I attempt to start it and the starter does not attempt to move(you can hear a small clicking noise from what I assume is the starter though). It then takes another few minutes or turn keys to start it up, and it runs perfect after that.

This makes me think it is an electrical/fuse issue or some sort of protective cutoff switch? Any thoughts or common problems that I can check? All help is appreciated, thanks.

-Tyler Parker
    2000 Tige 22i

Welcome TJ,

Those engines have relay at the top of the motor and a neutral safety switch on the transmission. Follow the yellow with red stripe wire from the starter to identify both. It honestly sounds like the neutral safety so try wiggling the shifter back and forth while holding the key to start when it happens. If you hear the engine bump or try to start, then it's the switch. Keep us posted.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thank you for the response.

I just had a little time to try and wiggle the shifter while starting it. It did not try to start or anything while wiggling the shifter. However, I would then turn the key off and then try to start it again and it just starts right up.

There seems to be no predictability in the starting. But the neutral safety switch sounds like it could be the problem still? Maybe it is in such bad condition it is just random? I am sure they are relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to swap so that might be something good to change out anyway?

I have not had enough time to inspect the wiring of the switch but I will soon.

If you have any other ideas or quick checks that would be greatly helpful and I look forward to your response. Thank you for your time

-TJ

Comment

If it were the neutral safety switch, it would bump as you passed the contact point so it doesn't sound like that's it. It's a massive pain but if you can use small alligator clips and connect to the yellow with red stripe on the starter solenoid and then attach a digital volt gauge, you could check if the solenoid was receiving power during the start cycle. If not, it's most likely the relay. If it does receive power but doesn't start, it's the start solenoid itself. If its the solenoid, I would suggest replacing the whole starter and not just the solenoid.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I replaced the whole starter and it sounds a lot stronger and starts more often. However, it still doesn't want to start every time. When on the lake, we found that if we toyed with the throttle a little and the jiggled the keys it would start right up. This leads me to believe that it is either the neutral safety switch after all, or the ignition switch has gone bad. Both seem logical and probably smart to replace because the boat is 22 years old. Let me know what you think of the problem and what my next step should be.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Only other thing besides the two you mentioned would be the starter relay. It's mounted on top of your engine.

Comment

I was inspecting my relay earlier actually, I didn't know what it was before you just mentioned it. After looking it up, it sounds like a real possibility. Maybe I just replace all three of these things and safe myself from future headaches

Comment

Originally posted by tjpark View Post
                I was inspecting my relay earlier actually, I didn't know what it was before you just mentioned it. After looking it up, it sounds like a real possibility. Maybe I just replace all three of these things and safe myself from future headaches
                It doesn't hurt if it's an intermittent issue....if it fails outright or remains in a failed state a meter proves the bad component quickly.

End of day tho an ignition switch, NSS, and relays are relatively cheap components

Comment

Okay so after changing out the starter, the ignition switch and the starter relay, I have started it 5 times with no issues so far. It starts up much more powerfully. Lets hope I fixed the issue, Will know for sure when I get it back on the water. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Hi TJ,

I have a '99 2100V and I'm having the same experience you had. I replaced the starter so far but 1 out of 4 or 5 starts, the starter doesn't start. I do hear the click from the relay when that happens which made me think that the relay was ok. I havent replaced the ignition switch or messed with the neutral safety switch yet.

Is this issue solved for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X