Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Carolina restricts surf wake

https://www.live5news.com/2022/06/20...outputType=amp

So question - does moving from 100 ft to 200 ft help? Is this a way to force additional inspection of wakesurf boats because now you can be pulled over because of the type of boat?

I maintain that on our lake, the 60’ cabin cruisers that won’t get up onto plane because they can’t afford the gas are as much a problem as anything - should there be a United front to make them move to 200’ clearances as well?

Discuss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The new law states no person may “wake surf” in excess of idle speed within 200 feet of a moored vessel, wharf, dock, bulkhead, pier, or person in the water."

Surfing 200' away from a moored vessel or shore is still too close for me personally. My neighbors dock is 176' long. We have a 300' no wake zone around our shoreline.

This law seems more than fair to the average wake boat user that is not an a-hole. Those that it would affect were way too close to begin with.

Most people's perception of distance is also skewed. 200' is a lot closer than most would think. That is only (50) 4' paces away.

If we don't want this sport legislated into the ground, wake surfing captains are going to have to be courteous to land owners and other people sharing the waterways. We have more wake boats on our lake than ever and we have no issues, but it literally only takes one jack wagon in a surf boat to start bending or breaking rules to anger 99% of the lake users.

Right now we have a much much bigger and more dangerous problem with jet skiers on our lake.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
      It is a good question? Could I be doing something to make someone else mad? IF you say not me, or no way, without thinking about it you might be "That Guy"
      I agree with your sentiments... for the most part. On our home lake (Lake Havasu), the majority of the Go Fast boat crowd don't like wake boats anyway. It ruins their glass to haul a**. They are going to be mad when they see me launching, LOL. I am "that guy" to many of them before I even fill my ballast! We, as a community, can do better no doubt. But we would also be naive to believe we are EVER going to make everyone happy. That's not to suggest we shouldn't try.

Comment

There's a part to this conversation that I think is just as prevalent as the size surf barge waves.

The stereo. At this point everyone in the game has amazing stereo options. They sound great in the boat, and behind the boat...but to anyone hundreds of yards away Odessza, Slightly Stoopid, AC/DC etc coupled with engine noise is annoying. Especially ehen it's the dawn and dusk guys chasing some flat water. I think MANY dont realize how far their sound carries.

It's much easier to use wakes, erosion, proximity as a data points for legislation and much easier to enforce than decibels...but loud tunes at off times have landed surf boats on the radar for those with SUP, kayak, dock sitting habits just as much as the size of dissipating waves
        Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-23-2022, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Our area just went to 500' from shore.
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Y’all come down to Mississippi and enjoy the Ross Barnett Reservoir “The ReZ” plenty of space for all sports and types boaters!

Comment

Working...
            X