Transom thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transom thickness

I’m installing two underwater lights on my ‘14 RZR with the extended hull. I’ve removed the floor and found a spot where they will fit. Does anybody know what approximately the thickness of the transom is? I just want to make sure the screws are not too long in case I make an error.

It's the better part of 3/4" at least. You shouldn't have any issues if the screws poke thru to the inside tho. All the hardware on TAPS hinges pokes they from the factory

Comment

Mark the drill bit with tape 1/8" longer then depth the screw needs, drill to that marked depth. Before mounting the unit, fill the holes with your below waterline sealer.

Just for fun, This is the depth of transom of a 2021 19' bay boat I put some lights on a couple weeks ago. Just about ran out of bit.

IMG_20220325_104716446.jpg
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My RZX is a hair under 1 3/4”, where the exhaust outlet is. The screws they sent me with my FAE were nowhere near long enough. I can’t remember exactly how thick when I drilled for my transom lights. It’s way thicker than I would have guessed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
          My RZX is a hair under 1 3/4”, where the exhaust outlet is. The screws they sent me with my FAE were nowhere near long enough. I can’t remember exactly how thick when I drilled for my transom lights. It’s way thicker than I would have guessed though.

Oof. That layup is.....

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

Oof. That layup is.....
            Oh great!! Now my hull is gonna delam, and everyone will have to listen to my rants on that!!???!!!

Comment

Right there with ya Freeheel, that's atrocious.
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post

Oh great!! Now my hull is gonna delam, and everyone will have to listen to my rants on that!!???!!!

Hahaha. We you know me. I always say everyone's poop stinks. I was doing an docking light install on the front of a 2022 G23 and you could feel a big delam with the drill. You'd punch a bit like you were thru then catch the other side of delam. One of the holes has water come out of it when I drilled which means some is/was trapped in there. Free ballast lol

Comment

I'm no expert but that looks like an air pocket that occurred during layup. My old Supra is littered with them, but par the course on that old boat.

Comment

My old RZX had water in the hull when I drilled for GSA. I'm guessing it was from when my surf pipe exhaust was leaking and had an air pocket.

Comment

Working...
                    X