Water in hull at the end of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in hull at the end of the day

New Tige owner, I have always wanted a ski boat and finally pulled the trigger and got a great deal on 2004 22i type R. 640 hrs, boat is in overall great condition and runs like a top. Noticed the boat seems to be holding more water than I’m used to. Every 2-3 hrs I can turn the bilge on and it pumps water out for 1-2 mins. If I don’t run the bilge when I pull the plug out when I pull the boat out, it has a pretty steady stream for 3 mins or so. When having regular maintenance on the boat I had the driveshaft seal tightened. Is this normal for a ski boat or are there other areas water could be leaking in? Sorry if this is something simple. I’m new to the ski boat world. Thanks for the help and answers.

Shaft seal likely needs repacked. Eventually just tightening isn't the answer.

I think just switch to Glide dripless is the best move and super easy install on a direct drive. No more water dripping into the boat ever and no adjustments ever needed again.

Comment

Only other thing I can think of is the Exhaust. Just behind the doghouse, open the hatch (where rudder is) and make sure the exhaust tubes are seated properly. I had an issue where they were offset a bit and every time I stopped, I would get some leakage back into the hull.

I second the dripless seal also.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcclain8 View Post
        Only other thing I can think of is the Exhaust. Just behind the doghouse, open the hatch (where rudder is) and make sure the exhaust tubes are seated properly. I had an issue where they were offset a bit and every time I stopped, I would get some leakage back into the hull.

I second the dripless seal also.
        By hull I mean Bilge but I think that's what you meant as well.

Comment

You can always grab the hose and fill the bilge while on trailer and see where it leaks out.

I just jump to shaft seal because of age. Just did an early 2000s Malibu DD last week. Owner stated he tightened packing a couple times over the years. Removed the gland nut and flax was rock hard and completely glazed from friction, not to mention almost bottomed out on shaft log threads.

Just seems to be the most common leak in boats of those vintage. I also always run em on the fake a lake to nake sure its not the fiberglass muffler as those seem to pop up as theses boats age

Comment

Agreed with filling hull and seeing where it leaks from. Its also helpful to let the boat float at the lake without running the engine and watch where the waters coming in. If you dont see any water coming in then run the engine and see if theres a leak anywhere while the engine is running.

But to answer your question, not normal. Id start simple first, clean out the threads for the plug located centrally under the doghouse, get a new o ring, and use just a tad bit of teflon sealant or even try a new plug. I agree with the other suggestions on checking the packing.

This is assuming youre not weighting the boat down and taking on a ton of water.

Comment

Working...
            X