Shrunk Carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrunk Carpet

Anyone have success stretching shrunk carpet? Previous owner washed the piece of carpet in the bow area and let it dry outside the boat. It shrunk and is now too short to snap on both ends. You can see the gap between carpet pieces in this picture. Recommendations appreciated!

I am not sure how you would fix that, but it might be a good time to replace it with Decadence. People rave about it.

Comment

Thanks, might have to do that. Looked into it and the price seems way more reasonable than the other options I was looking at.
      Anyone have recommendations on how to deal with the side wall carpeting? Do you leave the vertical carpet panels and just Deckedance the floor?
      Should I install in one piece or have two sections like the carpet is now?

Comment

Originally posted by dimolaam View Post
        Anyone have success stretching shrunk carpet? Previous owner washed the piece of carpet in the bow area and let it dry outside the boat. It shrunk and is now too short to snap on both ends. You can see the gap between carpet pieces in this picture. Recommendations appreciated!
        I would recommend going with an EVA flooring, whatever the brand, over carpet, also.

If you do decide to stretch it, you could probably get it to where you want it with a carpet kicker. As long as you can get into the tight quarters to stretch it. We use them for event installs, and you can stretch carpet pretty damn good with them. They’re pretty cheap at like Harbor Freight, or I’m sure you can even rent one, somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Get the carpet fully wet and let it hang for a few day while keeping it wet. It will stretch back out. Install it in the boat with fans blowing on it to dry it out.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
            I am not sure how you would fix that, but it might be a good time to replace it with Decadence. People rave about it.
            So I ordered a sample square of Deckadence.
            The good: light grey is a nice color, its super thick and springy underfoot, the sample came quickly and was $15
            The bad: rough and scratchier that I'd imagined. I read that it may soften up in the sun. I found that the sun made it squishier but it was still pretty rough. seems uncomfortable for anyone kneeling on it. Not too bad for feet.

Afraid to go with EVA foam as I'd prefer something removable and easier to clean.
            Ordered a sample of something called Aquamat. Anyone have experience with it?

Comment

Aquamat is pretty much what Tige used prior to going to EVA flooring and what they used once they stopped putting carpet down. I had Deckadence on my swim platform years ago and I didn't find it an issue on my knees. For the ease of install it would be much easier than transitioning to EVA. It's the access hatch to the gas tank/bilge that makes EVA more work. People have had to make a new hatch or redo the edges as there's a lip under the carpet. Aquamat would be the same as Deckadence but, I'd personally prefer Deckadence.

Comment

Update ... after being disappointed with how rough the Deckadence sample was on the knees, I ordered samples of SeaDeck and Aqua Mat. The SeaDeck reminds me of the stomp pad material on my snowboard that is currently nicked and shredded from other ski items hitting it. Seems like our kids would do a number on the stuff and I don't want to redo this flooring job in 3 years. I was really impressed by the Aqua Mat option. They were the only company I looked at that sends free samples. You get to pick three colors and they show up within a week. Not as spongy as Deckadence, but also isn't scratchy. I like that it's removable and seems durable. Still not sure if we'll just stretch the carpet or replace it, but if we do a replacement I think we'll go with Aqua Mat. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Working...
                X