what towing capacity do I need for 2003 Tige 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what towing capacity do I need for 2003 Tige 24v

I've just bought a 2003 Tige 24v Limited, and want to make sure I have the right vehicle with the appropriate amount of towing capability to pull it safely.
    Anyone know what that boat is likely to weigh on its own, without fuel and gear, and what the trailer would add to that in weight?
    The boat is being shipped to me so I'll take it to a weight station once I have it, but it's going to take a while to get here, so I'm wanting to get ahead of any issues and make sure my vehicle is suitable.
    Thanks so much.

According to the model specs page, the dry weight of the 24V is 4500lb and a typical trailer for that size is around 1800lb or more depending on construction.

Comment

then a 1K for liquids, batteries, tower, non-essential electronics and other gear.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Not only towing but being able to stop it is just as important.

Comment

I'd say stopping and controlling it is a far bigger issue than the pulling. Most newer vehicles won't have an issue pulling it's more whether they can stop it. The trailer will most likely have surge brakes so another option would be to convert to electric over hydraulic.

Comment

What is your vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
              What is your vehicle?
              Noting, I'm in New Zealand - At this point, I have a Nissan Patrol, (pictured below, which I don't believe is sold in the US), but essentially a Nissan equivalent to a Toyota Landcruiser. Braked towing capacity of 7700 lbs, however I it's getting old, and high in mileage, so I'm looking to change to either a newer Patrol or possibly a Range Rover - both will have braked towing capacity of 7700 lbs. I will also check out the specs on these for braking to see if they need upgrading.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                I'd say stopping and controlling it is a far bigger issue than the pulling. Most newer vehicles won't have an issue pulling it's more whether they can stop it. The trailer will most likely have surge brakes so another option would be to convert to electric over hydraulic.
                Thanks for the BCRider - what are surge brakes on a trailer, and what is "electric over hydraulic"? - or do you mean, upgrade the trailer to electric brakes, rather than hydraulic?

Comment

Surge brakes are where the front of the trailer pushes forward on the tongue and engages the brakes based on pressure applied. Electric over hydraulic replaces the sliding part on the front with an electric controller to then apply the brakes based on the pedal pressure and brake controller you'd then have to have in your tow vehicle. Generally the drum or disc brake set up on the same surge system would be able to be reused. You'd have to check on that to confirm.

Comment

Towing capacity is one thing having the proper equipment such as hitch and ball is another. Make sure these are above the total weight of the boat and trailer when fully loaded.

Comment

The 23 v for 2003 is listed at 4390 lbs. A gallon of gasoline is about 6.3 lbs so add roughly 300lbs. the trailer is about 1800 lbs so you are now at 6490. Add tower, swim platform, surfboards, wake boards, tools, towels, speakers, radio sound equipment, coolers etc. Male sure all your towing equipment is properly rated (ball, hitch etc) including your trailer and tires. You would be surprised as to how many people tow with underrated towing equipment.

Comment

Excellent info and responses - thanks so much to all for contributing.

Comment

Update: I have the boat now...the original surge brakes are not operational, so I'm going to upgrade to disc with a surge actuator or possibly electric over hydraulic.
                          I also purchased a tow vehicle - 2010 Range Rover Vogue supercharged, it has plenty of grunt at 500 bhp and uprated Brembo brakes all around, so plenty of stopping capability too.

Comment

These boats are heavy. You will love the RR but good trailer breaks are gonna be important. The rovers all seem to go through brake pads and rotors quick even when they are not towing. My wife is driving a LR4 after selling her 2019 4Runner a few months ago. After having Jeeps, trucks, and Toyotas off-road the LR4 has really impressed us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to know - what brakes have you got on your 24v trailer? Is it a Dorsey trailer?

Comment

Working...
                              X