Gel Coat Chicken Pox :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gel Coat Chicken Pox :(

Yeah...I got the pox. I honestly didn't know you could leave a boat in the water too long. Expensive mistake! We moved to a lake last year and our '07 24Ve was in the water from July to October with no issues. This year it was in from May to October. Pictures show what the entire wetted surface looks like. Ugh! Initial estimate is around $10k to repair. I found a used lift and picked that up this weekend, so now the boat will only be in the water when we're using it.

I'd like to get some input on the urgency to fix the blisters. I've seen people say it's just cosmetic, and others say it needs to be fixed ASAP. Can I wait a year? The lift will help, but will the water penetrate the fiberglass and cause structural issues?

Thanks...and dry your boat out once in a while.

No personal experience, but I have heard of some getting lucky and their blisters dried out on their own and went away. If your area doesn't freeze up I'd put it on the lift and dry it out over the winter and see what happens. I'd be hesitant to let them freeze though.

Comment

My boat spent its first year on a dock in 2009 so I have blisters on the bottom and a bit on the lower stern from the original owner. I've never done anything about it and they have never been an issue for me to this date.

Comment

What causes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://youtu.be/RSp8QpjeGmM
          ^^decent video explaining. It.

long and short is that gel coat and porous and water gets between gel and glass.

Comment

Working...
          X