Proper Dock Tie Up When Boat Has No Cleats? 2000 20i Tige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Dock Tie Up When Boat Has No Cleats? 2000 20i Tige

I've finally got the call from our local lake marina that there is a spot open for me. While getting my things together, it donned on me that I've never had my boat tied up for potentially weeks at a time without keeping an eye on it.

My current tie set up works fine when we are using the boat every day. I use the built in handles on the bow and the stern, and loop the stern line back to the mounted wakeboard bar. It keeps the boat from going forward, back or across the slip to the other side.

However, its never sat like that in rough weather or for more than 24 hours without checking on it.

I have googled a number of videos, but as soon as you say "no cleats" it assumes you are talking about the dock.

Is there a best practice for tying up a traditional ski boat with no actual cleats on the boat? Using the handrails can certainly work, but the line goes over the gunnel and rubs slightly on the upholstery since the handles are slightly below the top line inside.

Just buy cleats and install them. The handles will start to loosen up over time in the bow in my experience....

Comment

How about using the bow and transom eyes? They are easily accessible.

Comment

While the bow eye and transom lifts are stout enough to use, they may not be the most strategically placed tie points to keep a boat off the slip sides while moored up. One of the best ways to slip a boat long term, is a spring line configuration. IMO, you would need some mid-ship located cleats and aft located cleats for this.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think tying a boat to a dock cleat may be simple and I will not worry about it slipping away because it is quick to tie and easy to do.
          Last edited by Dalton07; 07-15-2023, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X