2006 24v prop shaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 24v prop shaft seal

Currently have a PYI dripless seal. I'm considering going with new glide seal, any suggestions?

Can't go wrong with that choice IMO. Is your PYI leaking??

Comment

Yes, it's leaking mainly while heavy ballasted for surfing. Set up is approximately 3600# ballast with fully automated surf gates.

Comment

I had a the same problem/complaint with a 12 or 13 MB B52....

It's usually the issue where the collar has walked up on the shaft and the boot needs compressed. Bruce3 could try that first....I'm just a big Glide fan.

Comment

I've tried compressing boot more at first of season, it was fine until last two times out. I'm putting the boat up for winter, just trying to get list for winter projects.

Comment

Bruce3 when you did it did you flip flop the jam screws and the set screws?? If not it likely slid up again.

Comment

Yes, complete new set of screws. I also have a PYI safety shaft collar.

Comment

Well sh!t. Sounds like glide in your future for sure lol

Comment

Any suggestions on best place to buy a glide seal?

Comment

I'd just buy it from them directly. Super knowledgeable and helpful company. 1 1/8 shaft and I can't remember shaft log size off hand. I'd be willing to be you contact them with year/make/model and they will have you taken care of in minutes

Comment

I re-did mine with a glide and have had zero issues! Changed out strut bearing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce3 View Post
                        Yes, it's leaking mainly while heavy ballasted for surfing. Set up is approximately 3600# ballast with fully automated surf gates.
                        How did you determine it was the shaft seal leaking when ballasted? I ran more ballast this year, 3700 lbs in a 22v, and the bilge pump has been running more than ever. We had record rain this year making it hard to troubleshoot, I'd shop vac the bilge to get it dry... then it would rain. Always wondering if the water is coming in the rear vents when slowing down ballasted.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

With engine cover open and storage tray removed, I could see water slightly spraying below v drive area and bottom sides of engine compartment. I have a secondary platform mounted on grab handle that stops water from coming in vents when slowing down ballasted.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I have a step as well but feel water can still find a way in the vents. I will have to take a look at my shaft seal to see if there are any obvious signs or perhaps replace it as PM. Any tips on replacing the seal, I hear it can be a bit of a pain.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X