Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 Tige 24ve vs. 2010 Supra Sunsport 21V

Hello, Everyone,

I am about to make my first wakeboard boat purchase and was hoping for some words of wisdom from the experience in this forum! I am looking for a multi-sport boat for my family of six, and have narrowed the search down to two boats:

1. 2006 Tige 24ve (340 hp, 370 hrs). One owner boat, although the boat was used in saltwater for the first year and a half of its life as a demo boat for a dealer in Florida. Has been exclusively used in freshwater in the MidWest since. Boat is in excellent condition, with the interior redone a year ago. Has manual fatsacs, tower, cockpit heater, bimini, cover, and all other great options that come with the 24ve. Teak swim platform could use some TLC, but nothing that a Sunday with a belt sander and can of teak oil wouldn't fix. One of the tower speakers are blown, but also a simple fix. As with many older Tige's, the TAPS gauge doesn't work but the plate works just fine.

2. 2010 Supra Sunsport 21V (340 hp, 170 hrs). Also one owner boat, only used in freshwater. Excellent condition with interior fully redone this year. Has cockpit heater, upgraded and plumbed ballast (750's in the back and a 400 lb in the bow). There are some gel coat stress cracks around the tower and handholds, but that is a known problem for that year Supra and is only cosmetic. This is also the first year Supra used the VISION system (LCD in dash that gives all engine stats, so no gauges, and also runs the ballast, stereo, and cruise control). Also has a built-in GPS map, although that doesn't really mean anything to me.

I've been looking for a boat for about 6 months now, and really like Tige's. I have had accepted offers on two 22Vs that fell through because we found a burnt valve in each when I ordered a compression test before handing over the bank check. Owners had no idea. Best idea we can come up with is that both boats were used heavily for wake surfing and these somewhat older boats weren't exactly meant for that. Evidently the oil pans don't like it when the bow is up, so running 10-11 mph with the bow in the air and the stern weighted down runs the engine lean. Don't know if that is the issue, but thats what the best idea the mechanic and I came up with after the second boat showed up with a burnt valve like the first (both needed $8K rebuilds).

After negotiations, both boats will cost the same (to within 10%). I really like the look and space that comes with the 24ve, but the 21v will also hold my family just fine. From what I've read, the 24ve will surf better but the 21v will be better for skiing (since the 24ve is basically a tank with the same hp). We plan to spend our time equally on surfing, wakeboarding, and skiing (with perhaps a little bit of time pulling the tube for the youngest kids, after they try one of the other three). The NADA value for the Supra is higher than the Tige, but they appear to be selling for roughly the same dollar value (which I understand is what really matters).

So, what it is coming down to for me is basically the age of the boats. I'm leaning toward the Supra primarily because it is 4 years newer. I am surprised by that because I really like the 24ve and started my search exclusively looking for Tige 22V or 24V boats. Perhaps I've been fooling myself, but the Supra has been growing on me ;-)

I am writing to this forum to ask you for any advice you might have on either of these models. Before this, I've only owned center consoles and been around larger sport fishing boats growing up. Now that I live near a lake in upstate NY, I want to buy a boat again, but have never owned a wakeboard boat.

Apologies for the rambling and I look forward to any and all advice and/or criticism on above opinions. I'm planning to make the decision this weekend.

Thanks!

Personally I'd go for the 24ve. Simply for the size and simplicity. I'm a tech and prefer gauges and switches over screen personally.

Also, I can't recall a single instance in which an owner has said "I really just wish my boat was smaller. We don't need all the room". Other thing is I would be willing to bet you start surfing more and more and as you stated the Ve will outsurf the Supra.

Lower hours would be the only draw to the Supra for me. I can't remember in 2010 but IF Supra was still using the single fill pump and sprinkler manifold for ballast I'd be ready to gut that and replumb ballast properly.

Comment

I agree with everything freeheel4life said. If the boats were swapped I'd say go 24' Supra over 21' Tige. I wouldn't let water-skiing wake impact the decision, neither will be like a direct drive. I keep researching what I should get some day to replace our 22v, I'm not finding much that interests me unless I get something 2019 or newer and that come at a huge cost and a bunch of complexity that I'm not sure I really need. Given newer boat costs an 8k engine swap isn't a bad thing to consider on a simpler older boat.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

if you're going to wakeboard most of the time, pick the supra. that 21v hull is a boarding BEAST and will destroy the tige.
        if you're going to surf most of the time, tige is a no brainer. I have been on the moomba forums since '07 as our first boat was an '06 supra launch20ssv and LOTS of complaints over the years from guys that have the 21v hull and struggle to get a good wave out of it. it surfs but that boat is a boarding boat first and foremost. supra didn't have a solid surf boat in their arsenal until the mid-teens supra SA redesign and SL release. prior to that, supra was all about boarding. their only boat that sucks more at surfing is the red headed stepchild launch242.

you know all this already from your posts but knowing some of the struggles from the guys with 21v hulls, I've never considered it for a second when we have been boat shopping.
        freeheel is spot on as well. he worked on both brands. the supra G3 sprinkler valve setup is a redo from the start if you have it. it SUCKS.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
        X