Marine Power High Idle RPM - Code M41 ESTMALF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Power High Idle RPM - Code M41 ESTMALF

Hi guys, trying to figure out why my 2005 Marine power 5.7 TBW has a slightly high idle.. about 200 RPM too high.

My idle RPM is about 950 (+-50rpm). Desired idle is 775RPM. I've hooked up scanning software to the ECM that I purchased from OBD diagnostics.

I've checked for vacuum leaks by spraying brake parts cleaner all over, replaced the throttle body, which also acts as the IAC valve. (IAC is controlled electronically with the throttle bodies butterfly valve). Dissected the wiring harness and all wires were clean. Grounds are good and tested with an Ohm meter. Fuel pressure regulator seems like it's acting as it should. I cleaned it to be safe.

I've already replaced the general stuff.... ignition coil & module, plugs, plug wires, cap & rotor, all 8 fuel injectors, high & low pressure fuel pumps, & fuel filter. ECM is a new used replacement from MP and was tested by OBD and they said it's good. Running the engine with the throttle body disconnected gives it a very low idle so I don't suspect vacuum leak.

Engine is throwing a code M41.. M41-EST (ESTMALF) & M41-EST A Fault.

Does anyone know where else I could look?
    Thank you for any help

Maybe Electronic spark timing malfunction??
    I'm totally shooting in the dark, but perhaps you have a cam or crank position sensing issue or something along those lines??
    I would check the Cam position sensor of there is one...

Comment

I was told the code 41 is related to the ignition module or the distributor.. so I pulled my distributor and my gear has some wear on it. Is this acceptable/normal wear for a distributor gear? The wear is worse on one side than the other.

The ridge that has worn down is .7mm thinner than the other side.. it's enough to feel with a flat head screw driver.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Majr808; 09-24-2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

There may be a module inside of the distributor so I’m going to replace the whole thing tomorrow with a Napa equivalent for $150 and report back if it fixes the high idle & code 41 issue.

Comment

If the timing has been reset, then any gear wear is out of the picture.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

found what was causing the code 41.. it was the ignition module which I sourced from summit. put the old one back on which didn't have any issues in the first place and there's no more codes being thrown or check engine light.

also installed the new distributor from napa and it starts well now. Gumby, i tried taking just the gear off and it was a biatch

Comment

Working...
            X