No announcement yet.

Smoothest Riding 3/4 ton Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy with the G, does have a 3 axle trailer, which could make a huge difference, I don’t know, I haven’t towed a triple axle. We also launch from the beach, and that 150, triple axle combo works better than my 2 axle and 3/4 ton combo.

My trailer is a 2 axle BoatMate, and it’s a complete POS. Brakes don’t work, and I’ve had a pile of issues with it, but I also probably work that thing way harder than 99% of people. Big passes, no brakes, leave lead and gear in, and I’ll tow like 80mph. I guess to BoatMate’s credit, it stands up to my use, but it has broken on me a bunch of times, and the brakes have never worked worth a damn. I’m going to rebuild the brakes, and put the heavier axles on it, with hope that fixes my issues.

Maybe finding a triple axle and dragging it with a half ton is your ticket. It would probably be cheaper than buying a bigger truck and not needing it 99% of the time.

What it ultimately boils down to is really think about how you are going to use everything, and how often, and what your ultimate needs and wants are, and kind of prioritizing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

An RZX3 with a two axle boatmate is at or just over GVWR with fuel and gear in it. Adding any lead puts you way over. I really wanted to run lead with my RZX3, but I was already over trailer weight and didn't want any lead in my Ram 1500 which was already over payload with my family and tongue weight. I've harped on this many times on here, but I feel its very important for all of us to scale our truck/boat/trailers. It's the only way to really know if you're set up right. If you question if something is wrong with your trailer, you have to scale if first and make sure everything is loaded right.
      Find a truck scale with 3 axle scales. Weigh your truck with the trailer hooked up so you know what it weighs. Put front axle on one scale, rear axle on one scale and the trailer axles on the third scale. Put all your family in it and your normal gear in the bed. Now you have your front and rear axle weights along with trailer axle weight and your gross weight. Then unhook the trailer from the truck. Make sure the trailer jack is on the same scale as the boat axles. Now you have the total weight of the boat/trailer and the loaded front and rear axle weights of your truck. You'll be able to figure out your tongue weight and be able to estimate your boats weight.
      From there you can start adjusting location of weight in the boat to get your numbers where you need them to be. You may find no adjustments are needed, or you may find your payload is over in either the truck or trailer.
      Once you know that's all good you can start diagnosing any other trailer issues.

My 2015 Ram 1500 with a two axle disc brake Boatmate trailer holding my RZX3 stopped WAY better than my 2021 GMC 1500 with a three axle disc brake Boatmate holding my RZX2. Both without lead. it was worse with the 800 in lead on the 2. Having said that, the three axle was far superior in ride quality. But if you have to do a bunch of sharp turns to get into your driveway or boat ramps, I'd probably go with a 2 axle 10k trailer.

Comment

Not sure if it matters but when I was shopping trucks last December I was amazed at how low 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks payloads are when you slap a diesel in them. Might want to take a look at those numbers (not sure if it matters in your case) but I couldn't believe how much less those trucks were legally able to carry with diesels.....convinced me to go 1 ton. I ended up with a 2020 Ram 3500 megacab. LOVE the truck and it honestly rides just as good as my 2007 Tundra that I replaced it with.....

Comment

It's interesting to read about your experiences with towing and trailers. It seems like the combination of a 150 with a triple axle trailer is working well for your beach launches. It's a valid point that sometimes, finding the right setup matters more than just having a bigger truck. It's unfortunate to hear about the issues you've had with your 2 axle BoatMate trailer, but it's impressive that it's still holding up despite your demanding usage.
          By the way, if you or anyone else is considering trucks for towing, whether new or used, Truck Exporter offers a range of options. It's always good to have reliable resources when it comes to vehicles and equipment.
          Last edited by RobinGill; 09-08-2023, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X