No announcement yet.

Starter Changed - Still not reading 12V at helm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, I changed the slave solenoid and the boat starts right up! Also, changed a few grounds on the battery just to make sure I'm getting good contact. Gauge at the help shows the voltage from the battery accurately as well!

Now. . . to fix the raw water pump. My pump is the one with the 2 blue drain plugs on it.

Anyone have experience with those leaking?

Thanks again!

Comment

As a tech I see a handful of these a summer

https://www.boats.net/product/mercur...HQVTo0bdP51M9J zE4leNOVeI_Q7hVZaCketgC8La532tX76QN6boA0oHlRoCIB8Q AvD_BwE

^^rebuild kit. Stick with OEM. Don't go for a cheaper Amazon/ebay option.

You will need a power steering pulley puller

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Well, water pump is changed.

but the starting issue is BACK.
          Any ideas with the following symptoms?

- Engine will not turn over, or click. Fuel pump does kick on.
          - engine in the ON position - loud alarm goes off and does not cut off. Battery gauge at the helm shows 11.0v
          - batteries are fully charged. Confirmed with multimeter
          - all wire ends, and battery terminals have been cleaned.

Any help is greatly appreciated from this awesome group!

Comment

Neutral safety switch or starter relay on top of the engine. If you've verified battery voltage with your meter the 11v at helm gauge is not related.

Check continuity across NSS. Check for 12v when turning key on small post of relay (smaller yellow and red stripe wire). Also check for constant 12v power on bigger wire and post on top of the relay. Breaker could be bad or tripped.

All of the above coukd be a reason for starter solenoid to not engage. Checking that youre getting 12v to yellow and red stripe wire on back of key switch while cranking is worth it if you get stumped on the other checks

Comment

Got it I’m going to do that now.

The NSS, is this engine mounted? Or is this the one in the throttle, or transmission people refer too?

Thank you guys so much for the help.

Comment

Good news.

The NSS ( I think ) with 2 wires running off the side of the v drive.

had a lose power cable. Cleaned and tightened both wires and terminals and it started right up.

Also, the helm now reads 12 volts ( direct battery test with multimeter was 12.6 )

both issues solved with 1 lose wire and dirty terminal clean up.

thank you guys so much. This group is why I bought a Tige, twice!

Comment

NSS is a 2 wire switch with yellow and red stripe wire coming from key and then leaves switch to the starter relay. If you found loose contacts there then sounds like youre in business.

Hopefully that was the last of your gremlins and it's trouble free boating all summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X