Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt Water Use - How to clean ballasts

Hey,

If I don't end up selling my boat, I might want to bring it to Florida at my parent's place. I will have it in a marina where they take the boat out every time and wash the hull and engine and then put it on a dry dock. However my concern is if I surf with it and fill ballasts, how do I prevent them from getting all the corrosion and salt on them? Any idea on what to do?

Thanks,

I'd back fill with fresh water thru the vents then run it out thru the drain pumps. Fills would either need to have the cartridges pulled out and cleaned by hand or try and hooke up a fake Lake to flush them with fresh water.

Comment

freeheel4life You mean pre fill them before going on the water?

Comment

Whats there to corrode?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril Impellers, hoses and anything that comes in contact with salt water...
          I just don't want buildup anywhere that might cause issues.

Comment

Corrosion, or in other words, the eating away of soft or less noble metals exposed to salt water, I understand. The only metal in the Tige ballast systems, is going to be the bronze thru-hull and ball valve body, and stainless ball valve seat and the live-well aerator pumps' spindle shaft. All these are used on boats that live in saltwater. The rest is vinyl and plastics, which I would not expect to be eaten away from the saltwater.

Full disclosure, Im far enough inland that I dont see a lot of boats that live in saltwater, so I dont know what kind of build up it left behind from saltwater use. With freshwater systems, we see calcium and other mineral deposits, as well as a stinky slime left behind. But nothing that would build up to the point of restricting the system. I guess you would have to flush with filtered or distilled water after each use, to prevent.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              Corrosion, or in other words, the eating away of soft or less noble metals exposed to salt water, I understand. The only metal in the Tige ballast systems, is going to be the bronze thru-hull and ball valve body, and stainless ball valve seat and the live-well aerator pumps' spindle shaft. All these are used on boats that live in saltwater. The rest is vinyl and plastics, which I would not expect to be eaten away from the saltwater.

Full disclosure, Im far enough inland that I dont see a lot of boats that live in saltwater, so I dont know what kind of build up it left behind from saltwater use. With freshwater systems, we see calcium and other mineral deposits, as well as a stinky slime left behind. But nothing that would build up to the point of restricting the system. I guess you would have to flush with filtered or distilled water after each use, to prevent.
              As chpthril says the Ballast system components are used every day in Ocean going boats. Id have no concern about the Ballast system in the ocean. I live near the coast and am well versed in boating on lakes and oceans. You just have different routines with boat maintenance when going in the ocean and it depends on how long you keep it in there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks!
                The boat will be taken out of the water every day and cleaned off by the marina and then left in a dry rack. It was really just my concern over the ballast pumps and things like that.
                This definitely helps.

Comment

Working...
                X