Chasing a water leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing a water leak

What is your thought process / steps to chase down a water leak? It is not from ballast bags...don't have them.

How would you determine if you have a cracked block from improper winterization? Would a cracked block put water in the hull? Oil is normal, no overheating. I don't think this is the issue but let's start there.

Where would water come into the boat when in motion? What is the most obvious area to look at? Have had the boat moving with engine compartment open and don't see any obvious areas where water is leaking.

Thoughts?

Possible areas of leaking:
    1. Shaft Seal
    2. Exhaust - especially when coming to a stop and the wave hits the back of the boat.
    3. Through hull fittings.

Comment

Are you sure you have a leak? Kids can bring in a lot of water getting in the boat…..

When was the last time you didn’t have a leak and what had changed or been worked on since then?

If the leak is on the engine somewhere, running on a fake a lake can convict or eliminate the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update: Water is coming in the shaft while under power. What kind of repair am I looking at? Thoughts on what could have caused it?

Comment

Gumby - What day works best for you ;-) I'll bring the drinks next time in party cove.

Comment

What year boat and what model? Early models did not have the PSS.

Comment

previous post indicated 08 22v so assuming it has the PSS.

Comment

Switch to a Glide PSS come winter and ve done with it lol

Comment

Guys - I can't thank Gumby enough for not only his advice but also his skills. He went beyond what anyone would ever expect and performed the repairs while I just sat there with my thumb up my ***. God I love the boating community!

Comment

Hopefully you handed him a beer for his efforts! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X