Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator 440 6.2L

Alternator

Anyone in BC or Alberta happen to have or know where to get a new alternator for a 2021 23ZX, 6.2L 440

please let me know

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Hard to think a brand new boat like that needs a new alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by maxrider View Post
      Hard to think a brand new boat like that needs a new alternator.
      Happens more than you'd think.

Comment

Could a failing alternator cause flare ups in RPM or flutters at speed?

Comment

Already had to replace our alternator in our 2020 23ZX.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

Happens more than you'd think.
            First time I cranked my engine, I got an over voltage warning……~18V. It was the first year for Indmar’s high current alternator and it had a design flaw that turned into a recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post

First time I cranked my engine, I got an over voltage warning……~18V. It was the first year for Indmar’s high current alternator and it had a design flaw that turned into a recall.

Fun fact...the flaw was never the alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

Fun fact...the flaw was never the alternator.
                Lol. Ok AC to DC regulator or a diode rectifier?

Last edited by Bamer; 07-11-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Lol. It was a harness issue. Constant power and watched ignition power got flip flopped where it plugged into the alternator. Not 100% what it caused within the regulator but besides overcharging the regulator would get HOT by simply having the master switch on. Supposed some boats e perienced "thermal events". Supposedly it was tech that figured it out(I think in the Chicago area) after they had already shipped a ton of alternators thinking that was the issue.

It was just so crazy because Skiers Choice was using the 230A on the Supra line and IIRC correctly on the Max that year. So between all those brands the shipped a LOT of alternators next day and paid a lot of dealers to change them. Then had to pay to ship the correct harness jumper plugs and pay to change those. Had to have hurt them.

Tige said screw it and went back to the 90A alternators because the could using aerators(loe amp draw). Skiers was stuck because they were running 6 reversibles

There's the story as I know it....probably shouldn't be posting it on the forum but oh well.
                  Last edited by freeheel4life; 07-11-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

What’s kinda bothersome is I bought a more expensive alternator and they swapped at for a cheaper one. In theory, someone owes me a couple bucks, but I didn’t even go down that road with the dealer…..unrelated, but now I have a slow vdrive oil leak to thank indmar for too that I figure Is going to be like pulling teeth to get warranty replacement….dealer already bailed on my initial claim over winter, now the drive’s been leaking oil all summer.

Comment

Bamer Im at a dealer now that sells Correct Craft and Fineline now and it's all the same no matter where you go. I feel like with the way the boat markets been its just the law of averages. Something is going to fail. Had a PCM in a new(ish) Nautique take a dive because of an oil pump failure recently and have a V drive in a 400 hour G23 coming up. Some days you are the pigeon and someday you are the statue

Comment

Lake house marine should be able to get you one no problem and under warranty. My 25ZX needed one from day one.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

got new alternator shipped from TEnnesee, battery drained immediately. Voltmeter showed no power at the alternator.Turned out the 300amp fuse that goes the alternator to the battery was never installed!!!

made a make shift fuse to get boat on trailer.

getting serviced right meow and fuse installed.

Comment

Another fun fact. It was NEVER THE HARNESS either. The 230A alternator has its quirks. It works on a ton of boats and doesn't work on a ton of boats. Those boats all have the same harness. I can't tell you how many boats we swapped the harnesses on that still smoked 230s like a pack of Marlboro lights. Even more puzzling is the fact that hundreds of smoked alternators or so we thought that produced no charge when on boats seemingly started working again after being unplugged, shipped back to indoor and then reinstalled on test rigs.

While the consensus early was that It was the harness, I can guarantee you it was not the root cause Why? Because we still have boats in the field that never had that harness swapped that are nearing 200 hours without an issue. SC also still has the issue with so called correctly harnessed boats.

That Alternator has an excite wire that it uses to dictate when and when not to send charge. For some reason the alternator at times and often long periods decides that it no longer wants to send out voltage. Tige was smart to go to the 95 early. The SC boats we have that have gone through 10-12 alternators get the 95 and as long as they don't have any extra equipment run flawless with the 95. SC has made an alternator change for 2022, if it was an issue that was clearly resolved they wouldn't have ever made a change.

This 230A debacle was a disaster and still is here in 2021 for those MFG still using it.

Germaine Marine
                            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Working...
                            X