Temp gauge stuck at 175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp gauge stuck at 175

My 2006 tige 24ve temp gauge is stuck at 175 as soon as I turn the ignition on.

I grounded the two wire connector going to the temp sensor and the gauge stayed the same.

I also checked the back of the gauge and noticed the ground wire was loose so I tightened it and also grounded it directly to the battery and it stayed the same.

I installed a new gm sensor since it was cheap and because I’m also changing the water pump impeller and thermostat.

all of the other factory gauges work fine and after I start it, it will move up to around 200f and stay there.

ive used a laser thermometer and it’s usually around 175-180

Sounds perfect as it will never overheat now

Sounds like the gauge is toast to me.
    You can try different wires, there's a chance there's short somewhere between the sender and the gauge.

Comment

I've had my tach do that to me once or twice. It was actually reading much higher than it should have right at startup/idle. As I accelerated, it began to really climb. The solution...gave it a couple taps and it "unstuck" and settled in to its correct reading. Not sure if the temp gauge would work the same, but worth a try.

Comment

Same issue with my old tach. Seems like the needle is just stuck. I would replace the gauge. I e seen some that drill a small hole in the side and using a small tool move the needle back and forth to work it free. I’m not that patient. Haha

Comment

I’ve measured voltage and the two wire plug at the sensor and the yellow wire has just over two bolts with key on. I only grounded the black wire on the plug

Comment

I checked voltage at the back of the gauge and it is the same voltage as the sensor so it should be getting a good reading. I just finished installing a new 140f thermostat and water pump impeller and nothing on the engine went above 140.

does anyone know where to get a factory tige temp gauge?

Comment

Yes I pulled a 140 out of it

Comment

140* is the incorrect thermostat for that engine. Remove and install the 162* otherwise you're going to be burning way more fuel. The computer doubles the injector pulse width up to 142* to help the engine warm up and those 140* thermostats should only be used on carbureted engines as a result.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                X