Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue 2 - Engine wouldn't start on water. Started today after 2 days out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue 2 - Engine wouldn't start on water. Started today after 2 days out.

We hit the water early Saturday AM and everything was good. Filled the ballast, pulled our first surfer for 10-15 mins. Turned off the boat between surfers and it would not start back up. Boat was in neutral, checked the kill switch - not those simple things. It would crank, but wouldn't turn over/fire up. I could hear the fuel pump priming as normal and even checked the fuel pressure (high pressure line I think - first time doing that). Fuel looked good. Not sure what "normal" is, but when it was priming it jumped to 60, then dropped to about 10 after then back to around 60 while cranking. Batteries seemed good as I tried it a dozen times over the day and it always cranked. Seemed like a spark issue. I pulled a plug and it looked fine and no water in there that I could tell. Wish I'd have thought of looking for spark at that plug while cranking (which I read on here after), but didn't.
    Today after having it out of the water for a day and a half it fired right up. I've heard of cars getting water in the distributor and not starting, have to assume that can happen in a boat, even with a marine distributor?
    Other info: The batteries have been on the charger since getting home. We also sat on the water for 5 or so hours because we didn't want to waste the day, but it refused to start all day.

2006 22Ve Marine Power.

Would love to hear what y'all think as well as what I should check/look at. Obviously, I'm not keen to hop back on the water just because it's starting in the driveway now.

Thanks

I had purchased a fuel pressure gauge when I was troubleshooting a previous starter issue. That wound up being the starter so I never used it, but I had it on the boat. I connected that while sitting dead in the water. When I turned the key and the fuel pump kicked on ("primed"), the pressure showed 60 PSI. When priming finished, it dropped to around 10 PSI (I did not crank in this period). Then I tried to turn it over and it again showed 60 PSI while cranking. So, I didn't have a gauge installed while running, this was while sitting dead. Basically, this behavior seemed good or at least logical to me. But being an "only when I have to" mechanic, I thought I would share that info for confirmation.

Comment

No slick out back. Didn't notice a strong fuel smell. Now, I almost always smell fuel when I pull the cover off. In fact, I had the shop pressure test the tank and try to find a leak at the beginning of the season and they didn't find anything. But I didn't notice there being any fuel smell here other than when I removed the gauge (without releasing the pressure - "Oh, *that's* what that button/hose are for!").

Comment

Working...
      X