New Surfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Surfer?

I am 180lbs and ride a 4’7” hyperlite automatic. When the wave is right, aka have some peeps in the boat I can easily move around on the wave , but there are days like today where I struggled to stay in the wave, but my 125lbs wife had no issues. Should I get a bigger board? I’m not stuck on a pure surf style, so I’m open to hybrid or skim. What size board do you ride compared to your weight?

Any thoughts on the phase five ogle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no surfing pro but I think you need a board that displaces more volume.

this year I moved up to a soul raft voodoo 4’10’ and it made a huge difference. I’m 6’5” 220lbs.

just my 2️⃣ cents

Comment

will a longer board help? yes. but you answered your own question in that it's really about the wave. 4'7" might be a little short if your wave is inconsistent. i am 165 and ride a soulcraft hc pro 4'6".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Three variables here and it only takes one to mess it up. Wave, board and body position. The 4’7 might be a little small depending on your skill and the performance of the board. Possibly the most important part is your body position, shift your hips forward to transfer weight onto your front foot and heavy on your toes to bring you into the wave. For the wave you want enough height to support your weight but you also want a longer wave to allow for room to move forward and back comfortably.

Comment

[mention]bsreid [/mention] I’m no pro, but I have the foot/body position down pretty good. I can go up/down face of the wave and fwd and back of wave and recover when the wave is perfect. I’m mostly curious what boards everyone is riding compared to their size. What do you ride?

Comment

Personally my boat is full of kanuk boards as I’m one of their riders and the performance of their boards are great. The shift is a great beginner model, the vedder is a perfect skim for beginner and pro. And personally I love my burnsy pro model, super fast but easy to break lose for spins.
            Your hyperlite model sounds like a decent board and there are lots of other great models, soulcraft, phase 5, etc. Generally I would put someone your size on a board that length but I’m on a larger and consistent wave.
            Running a surf school this year and I like to put people on more of a thicker hybrid style board, surf style is great but it’s much harder to learn the basics with the way the fins generate speed.

My thoughts are it’s the wave if you’re confident on a good wave and can ride the board no problem.

Comment

Ok, I will be buying a new board(s) now as I lost my surf board last night when we got caught in a storm on the lake. Board was on Bimini and it came out of straps and blew away. Was too busy try to stay under a bridge for refuge, so I didn’t attempt to get it….. I’ve been dumb enough to get caught on the water twice in over 20yrs and this one was very very bad. We are lucky not to be filling an insurance claim for sunken boat today!

So, I’m thinking maybe 2 boards. 1 for smaller people like 130lbs and another for larger people like 200-220 lbs. one board I’d like to be surf style and the other maybe a hybrid. What’s recommendations do you have? Does anyone ride skim boards other then pros?

Comment

We’re riding phase5s now. We’ve had ronix, hyperlites, and some random ocean boards. The P5s hold up well. I know a bunch of guys like the Soul Craft, Chaos, Kanuks, and some of those more custom boards, but I’ve never ridden one to comment on them. We’ve been happy with these. We have a Diamond Ltd, as a skim board, and I can’t remember what our bigger surf style is, but I don’t think they even make it anymore. I’m 240 and ride both. We have dudes up to 300# down to kids riding that surf style board. The carbon fiber holds up way, way, better than the cheaper coatings that our Ronix had. That thing looked like it had been through a war. What you want to spend will dictate some of it. I think we paid pushing double for our p5 over a Hyperlite or Ronix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I moved to a soulcraft voodoo this year and really like it as a surf style. Not cheap but totally worth it.

they have a questionnaire on their site that will be really beneficial in determining fit with your style and wave shape.

ive ridden phase 5, ronix, doomswell. Liked the doomswell and phase 5. Ronix was fine but not my favorite feel.

Comment

Originally posted by 25cents View Post
                    I moved to a soulcraft voodoo this year and really like it as a surf style. Not cheap but totally worth it.

they have a questionnaire on their site that will be really beneficial in determining fit with your style and wave shape.

ive ridden phase 5, ronix, doomswell. Liked the doomswell and phase 5. Ronix was fine but not my favorite feel.
                    Which doomswell? Neo, nubstep,…..?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post

Which doomswell? Neo, nubstep,…..?

I did the Neo 4’7”. It was a great board but at 6’5 and 220 was a little on the small side. If I could have found a 4’10 I think that would have been great.

Comment

I’m about 160 and riding a Doomswell Neo 4’6”. Only have a handful of rides on it, but love it so far. As a (former?) ocean surfer, I prefer an EPS board. Just so responsive. If I didn’t often take beginners, I’d love to have both a surf and skim style. Got to ride my first skim style this weekend and that was fun too. Fun to compare/contrast.

Comment

And sorry to hear about the storm! Glad the only loss was an easily replaceable board or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by okiepilgrim View Post
                            And sorry to hear about the storm! Glad the only loss was an easily replaceable board or 2.
                            Thanks. I know better…..and should not have folded to others and just told them I’m leaving with the boat and you can go or stay……

Comment

I finally got past my analysis paralysis and got a 4’8” doomswell Neo. My first ride I had to bail cause it’s soooo much faster than the 4’7” hyperlite automatic I wasn’t ready for it. I almost hit the boat. My wave was good that day but is definitely better with just a couple adults in the boat, but this board did exactly what i was looking for and that is to be able to enjoy my ride even when it’s just my wife and 2 boys in the boat (230lbs). I can see how the 4’6” neo would be good for me, but I wanted something that my 220lbs friends can ride too. I was able to recover deep into the curl than ever before and I didn’t have to work super hard to stay in the wave.

Now I’m off looking for a second sugestión from you guys. My wife didn’t like the neo at first but warmed up a little to it, but my 90lbs 8yr could not flip the neo, but he could flip the 4’7” automatic with ease. So my question is, what durable surf style board would be good for my son today and one he can grow into and this board could double as an option for my 130lbs wife or other smaller adults. I’d like this board to be easy to flip and ride and have a harder more durable shell than the neo….no one riding this board will doing any tricks other than riding wireless!

Comment

Working...
                              X