Boatmate 7 way plug connecting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boatmate 7 way plug connecting issue

Anybody else have/had issues with trucks seeing the Boatmate trailer with 7 way plug?
    Our ‘17 trailer had issues couple times with the ‘15 F150 of not connecting or while driving having the “trailer disconnected” pop up.
    Had the same issue and probably more frequent on the 2020 trailer and same truck. Had to be in at just the right angle.
    Fast forward to last night and couldn’t get new (to me) F250 to see the trailer. Until after much troubleshooting on the truck to then push the pins out on the plug of the trailer then it connected. But if move it a little would disconnect.

Have heard that the plug Boatmate uses is slightly smaller diameter than standard/RV 7 way plugs. Curious if anyone else has replaced the plug and had better luck.

To rule out the truck I connected it to neighbors RV and connected immediately. Connected it to work trailer and same thing. Connected it to someone else’s Boatmate trailer and took some wiggling to get it to connect but wiggle little again and disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nic, we had very similar issues with ours as well. Tige/Germaine replaced it as a warranty claim. No issues since.

Comment

How’s the plug on your truck side look? I had some issues with mine, replaced the plug on my truck, like $30 and 10 minutes or something like that, which had some corrosion, guessing from backing into the lake, and it’s been fine, ever since. You might be right about that plug being a little smaller, or something, as I never had any issues with my other trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Try cleaning the connectors with contact cleaner. I started doing this after having similar issues and have been good since. I make it part of my spring routine so it’s done annually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I messed with the blades inside the plug and pushed them towards the center and seemed to connect right away. Still little loose in there when push on it but will have to give it a go. If still have issues guess I'll swap the plug out.

Comment

I bent the prongs a bit and gave it a nice coating of de-ox electrical grease. Seems to have taken care of it.

Comment

Working...
            X