2001 2100V Deckadence Style Flooring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 2100V Deckadence Style Flooring

So I decided I was done with the carpet and started tearing it out last week to install a 1-piece Deckadence type floor. I plan to template it myself with 6-mil plastic and cut it myself. More on this later, but I plan to patch the floor with Bondo and paint it with Herculiner. I researched the various suppliers and obtained samples from the following companies

Deckadence
    https://marineflooring.net/
    Pros - perfect softness, backing to prevent sliding, 6’ width so no seaming necessary.
    Cons - price - $820 for my boat. The Luna Silver color has a bit of blue-ish tint. I’m looking for more grey
    IMG_7061.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg

Aqua-Deck & Aqua-Soft
    https://www.commercialmatsandrubber....rine-flooring/
    Aqua-Deck - The vinyl ropes are thicker than deckadence and it’s only ⅜” thick making it feel much harder. Not for me.
    Aqua-Soft - ⅝” thick and has the backing but it just didn’t feel as soft. They are mailing me larger samples.
    These only come in 4’ wide roles so I’d have to seam it. Cost for my boat with 1 seam under the drivers seat (running front to back) would be $640 for a 4’x16’ roll. If I seamed it across bow walkway, I could get by with a 4’x12’ roll for $480 but I don’t want that seam right across the walkway.
    IMG_7020.jpg

Vinyl Mesh Pool Mats
    https://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/
    This one isn’t too bad for the price of $350 for my boat. ⅜” thick x 4’ rolls with no backing and the same seaming plan as Aqua-Deck/Soft. They only gave me a really small sample but it doesn’t feel too bad. I emailed them and they’re sending me a larger sample. They also have a PREMIUM mat but it’s more expensive and I really didn’t like the samples. The weave density (I think I just made that term up) was too open/loose.
    IMG_7128.jpg

VinLoop
    http://www.mattingexperts.com/VinLoo...g-p/mtg140.htm
    I’m still waiting on my sample to come in the mail but this one appears to be the most budget friendly at $250 shipped for a 4’x16’ roll. Again, same seaming plan as shown above. I’ll report back on this one when I get the sample

Wakulla Mat
    https://www.wakullamat.com/
    I think I found a winner! I stumbled across this one and it’s local here in St. Louis. I stopped by their shop and they have 6’ rolls of a ½” grey material that feels almost identical to the deckadence but without the backing (which I don’t think I need anyway, the stuff is pretty grippy by itself). They’re giving me a 6’x11’ sheet for $400 so I’ll have NO SEAMS and plenty of leftovers. They can also do a Tige logo for $150. Their logos aren’t painted on, they actually CNC cut out the logo and then inlay the logo with the same material in a different color (See photo).
    IMG_7108.jpg
    IMG_7100.jpg

Moving on to my progress. The carpet came out super easy. The glue was almost non-existent. My boat had, what appears to be, a thin layer of fiberglass over the wood. It’s very smooth and was very much intact around the drivers seat but was flaking around the edges of the wrap around seating. The wood floor is about 3/16” lower than the finished white gelled fiberglass around the edges and in the bow. Since I’m doing a 1-piece mat and I want the mat to go all the way to the edges, I opted to use Bondo Glass to taper the floor up so you won’t feel this sharp edge under the mat. I needed to bondo patch this area anyway, so I just used a little extra and thickened and tapered the edge. I’m finishing it up with Bondo High Bond Filler to smooth it out. I’m filling the dip in the floor under the helm with Bondo Glass and bits of wood for filler material. I tacked on a 1/4" strip of plywood around the gas tank cover to better fill the gap where the carpet turned down. I ordered grey Herculiner from amazon which I’ll use to coat and seal the floor.

IMG_7051.jpg

Attached Files

IMG_7054(1).jpg
    IMG_7071.jpg
    IMG_7084.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7121.jpg
    IMG_7122.jpg

Comment

More pics. I'm going to start finish sanding tonight and hopefully laying the herculiner and templating this weekend.

Comment

Got a little more Bondo work done last night. It appears that the tapered transition will be pretty smooth and hopefully not noticeable.

IMG_7133.jpg

Comment

Got the 2 coats of herculiner completed.

Comment

Picked up the mat yesterday and completed the project. It turned out great and I'd say I only have about $600 invested.

IMG_7184.jpg
            IMG_7186.jpg
            IMG_7187.jpg
            IMG_7188.jpg
            IMG_7189.jpg
            IMG_7192.jpg
            IMG_7202.jpg

Comment

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great Job!! Looks good!

Comment

Wow that looks great!

Comment

Looks fantastic.

Is there an adhesive backing on the flooring or do you put down glue? Sent an email to the company about pricing thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebva3 View Post
                      Looks fantastic.

Is there an adhesive backing on the flooring or do you put down glue? Sent an email to the company about pricing thanks for the heads up.
                      The material just lays in there loose. There is not backing or glue. Since most of my floor is now truck bed liner material it's very grippy and doesn't move at all. Since the bow is gel coat, it moves a little bit. I'll have to report back when I actually get to lake test it. Worse case is I install a couple of snaps in the bow.

Did you email the Wakulla Mat company? If so, let them know that I referred you. I didn't see the 1/2" x 6' rolls on their website, but they have it. The 9/16" stuff is nice, but not as soft. All of the companies I listed will send out free (or cheap) samples and I highly recommend checking them all out.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper515 View Post

The material just lays in there loose. There is not backing or glue. Since most of my floor is now truck bed liner material it's very grippy and doesn't move at all. Since the bow is gel coat, it moves a little bit. I'll have to report back when I actually get to lake test it. Worse case is I install a couple of snaps in the bow.

Did you email the Wakulla Mat company? If so, let them know that I referred you. I didn't see the 1/2" x 6' rolls on their website, but they have it. The 9/16" stuff is nice, but not as soft. All of the companies I listed will send out free (or cheap) samples and I highly recommend checking them all out.
                        I mentioned I saw your write up on the forum. My flooring will be all Herculiner so I feel that should handle the possible slippage.

Where did you purchase the plastic film to make template?

Comment

I got the plastic at Lowes. 6-mil plastic in the paint department. Templating was kind of a hassle but once I figured out a system, it went OK. I suggest watching the Deckadence video on youtube regarding templating. I also suggest overlaying the plastic on the torn-out carpet and cut the plastic very closely in shape to limit the amount of additional plastic you're dealing with while crawling around in the boat. I did this but still had to trim down the plastic while in the boat to make it easier to wrap around the radiused corners.

Comment

jtryon, The 6' role was certainly a selling point for me as well. I'd rather pay just a little bit more to avoid potentially screwing up a seam.

Comment

After you have a few good long days let me know how the floor feels under foot

Comment

Working...
                              X