Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R23 with 360

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a 2018 Tige R23 with Indmar 360. I really like the Z3 and R23 models and need to stay within a reasonable budget. Has anyone here had any experience on an R23 with 360? Is it enough power? Most of the time it will probably be my family of 4 but we will have times with up to 10 kids & adults. All water sports, we are new to wake surfing but will probably do this the most.

Elevation plays a huge roll in a boats power. The other thing is that R23 owners tend to load them really heavy with ballast for surfing as stock ballast yields a mediocre wave, at best. So if your elevation is higher than about 3000' I'd pass for sure or if you know you will add more ballast in the future I'd pass as well. The best thing you can do is water test it, loaded with your 10 people and full stock ballast at your lake of choice and see if it performs to your liking.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback unstuck. We are in Austin so elevation won’t be an issue but I could see us wanting to add weight in the future if we get better and the wave isn’t great. Is the stock wave really only mediocre? Would a beginner be able to tell the difference? Water testing will have to wait since it’s currently getting fiberglass repaired on the top of the transom.

Comment

With a crew of 10 and full ballast you are going to want more power than the 360. The 360 is great for the R20, R21, but once you get to the bigger boats with more ballast, they leave a little to be desired.

Comment

I have a 2019 R23 with the raptor 400. The 400 and 360 are the same power plant....the 360 just has a few less sensors to save a little cost...

My boat came with the acme 537 prop.....boo.... it sucks.....put a 2419 or 2773 on it. I put the 2773 on mine and it pulls like a beast with 8 adults and 800lbs of lead and full water ballast ~2700lbs.

Drain the water and it will still hit 39-40mph at 5200rpm, .....I don’t run wide open at all, but can cruse at 28mph at a comfortable rpm.

I am in Dallas, so same elevation As you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe [mention]cnote [/mention] will chime in. He has a 2018 with the 400(I think) and he loads it up more than I do. He runs the 2419 prop for a little more pulling power. He is at possum kingdom, so just slightly higher than Austin.

If it has the 537, you won’t like it. I promise!!!!!!!

Comment

Bamer thanks for the tip! So, a 360 with a good prop might be okay?

Comment

We have a 2017 r21 with the 360. There seems to be sufficient power for all of our activities. I have a high altitude prop on it which helps, but limits the top speed to ~38 mph. I think our dry weight is about 4400 lbs ish. Not sure what the r23 is.
                I think i have the 1617 on it, and it rips my fat *ss out of the water at 3500' Elev.
                Last edited by USWaker; 04-07-2021, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                  The 400 and 360 are the same power plant....the 360 just has a few less sensors to save a little cost...
                  there is a hp/tq difference in the 360 and 400. iirc the 360 is missing 15hp/25tq. roughly the same tq difference in the 400/440 but hp is pretty close.

I doubt that difference would be noticeable at tx elevation and you are correct on prop being a bigger play. I appreciate the prop info as I see a different one in our future.
                  we have a grand in lead and it's needed. we run with 4 usually and really could use another 500lbs but I don't want to trailer it.
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post

there is a hp/tq difference in the 360 and 400. iirc the 360 is missing 15hp/25tq. roughly the same tq difference in the 400/440 but hp is pretty close.

I doubt that difference would be noticeable at tx elevation and you are correct on prop being a bigger play. I appreciate the prop info as I see a different one in our future.
                    we have a grand in lead and it's needed. we run with 4 usually and really could use another 500lbs but I don't want to trailer it.
                    What prop do you have?

Comment

Found this info on this forum back in 2018 when we were deciding on which engine to go with...

Other than the obvious additional HP and torque, these following additions made it a no-brainer for me to go 400:

360 does not have Fresh water sea strainer standard, 400 does

400 has multiple temperature sensors on the intake to maximize efficiency and power, the 360 does not have those sensors. Essentially it relies exclusively on the air fuel sensors to relay messages to the engine’s computer which is more inefficient

To that same point, when the engine diagnoses a problem with fuel burn, fuel/air mixtures, it is much more accurate in the 400. Also, if the engine were to have a problem and throw a code, the solution is much easier on a 400 because of all the sensors. We can determine the root cause much easier rather than hunting and pecking for a solution.

There is no fuel pressure sensor on the 360 like on the 400

We run a different, more robust, more expensive shift valve on the transmission for the 400 versus the 360.

On the drain plugs for the manifolds, we route a drain loop that has a single hand twist blue plug on the 400 versus the 360 that has two brass manifold plugs. Same purpose, just much easier to service on the 400

Comment

Working...
                      X