Cool touch interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool touch interior

I'm beginning to look at new boats and I'm a little uneasy on the cool touch material. Does anyone have any knowledge on how long this stuff will last? Will it eventually lose whatever keeps it cool or is it expected to last the life of the vinyl? Also, does it really work? I demoed a boat last night and was told the blue and red still get hot if in direct sun. Hot enough it's not comfortable to stand on. I love the look of the colored interiors but I'm a little skeptical of it. Thanks for any input or experiences you have.

My new Supra has cool touch (they call it chilltech but I assume it's all the same)
    It's great in the sun, my entire interior is brown and it gets hot but doesn't stay hot. It's hard to explain but it's hot when you touch it but it cools off immediately, unlike traditional darker colored vinyl where it stays hot and will burn you. My tige had brown accents that were not cool touch and on a 90 degree day you could not sit on those areas without a towel or getting it wet.

The biggest downside to it is soap and water only, so if you get mildew or a stain you're pretty much just screwed if you stick with the manufacturer recommendation there.

My understanding is that it is a coating and will likely wear off eventually but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Sonic - thanks for the reply. That was basically what the dealer told me. It's hot at first but as soon as you sit on it it cools down. I just wish it had been around longer to know how it will be in 5-10 years.

How do you like the Supra? Which one do you have? I'm strongly considering one. I love Tige but there seems to be some issues going on and I was very impressed by the SL we demoed.

Comment

Mastercraft had it out first on a proprietary agreement with Spradling. I cant remember what the first year was but I think it was 17 or 18. From what I see coming thru the shop it's holding up well.

Comment

I have a 2020 with Grey cool touch n nothing cool about it lol yes it cools down after you sit on it but you still need a towel to sit on first if on a sunny 90 degree day. so maybe not burn hot but people will still say damn that's hot. goes back too what is wrong with white seats? They stay cool n with color ascents look great but almost impossible to find a dealer that orders a boat with it.

My boat is three months old n I have more blemishes n tears than I had in 10 years on my rz2. The warranty cost has to be thru the roof for tige. I will need 4 or 5 skins or seats replaced on a boat with 30 hours. Based on that no way they last. BTW, only 3 people on the boat and kept covered in a garage.

I've had tige boats for 20 years n this is my 3rd brand new one n this vinyl isn't going to last me 10 years so if that's the trade off for cool tech then just give me good old white vinyl that will last.

that's just my 2 cents

Comment

Thanks Txtige. That's my fear. It seems that even if you order one with white material it's still the cool touch material. I don't see that it's an option to get the old style vinyl. I'm also assuming this isn't just a tige issue. I figure everyone is using the same material just different names.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremiah.hough View Post
              Thanks Txtige. That's my fear. It seems that even if you order one with white material it's still the cool touch material. I don't see that it's an option to get the old style vinyl. I'm also assuming this isn't just a tige issue. I figure everyone is using the same material just different names.
              That’s disappointing. My 2018 RZX2 with white vinyl and blue/gray accents still looks virtually brand new after nearly 3 summers and 150+ hours. Sure, you can see some blemishes in the white if you look closely, but almost everyone who gets in my boat comments on how amazing the interior looks. Hopefully by the time I buy a new boat in 4-5 years we know a little more about the durability of the new vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by txtige View Post
                I have a 2020 with Grey cool touch n nothing cool about it lol yes it cools down after you sit on it but you still need a towel to sit on first if on a sunny 90 degree day. so maybe not burn hot but people will still say damn that's hot. goes back too what is wrong with white seats? They stay cool n with color ascents look great but almost impossible to find a dealer that orders a boat with it.

My boat is three months old n I have more blemishes n tears than I had in 10 years on my rz2. The warranty cost has to be thru the roof for tige. I will need 4 or 5 skins or seats replaced on a boat with 30 hours. Based on that no way they last. BTW, only 3 people on the boat and kept covered in a garage.

I've had tige boats for 20 years n this is my 3rd brand new one n this vinyl isn't going to last me 10 years so if that's the trade off for cool tech then just give me good old white vinyl that will last.

that's just my 2 cents
                I'm curious as to what you mean by blemishes and tears? pictures?
                I'm at 100 hours on mine and haven't noticed any problems at all. Granted different brand but i think they are all spradling vinyl.

Comment

I’ve got the cool touch in grey and just like people above say, it’s gets hot but not as bad my blue does. IMO it’s not worth the cost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Supra has an all black chill tech interior an we love it. Cleaning with warm water and a little dawn has worked great. I was very skeptical when we were looking at this boat. Does the vinyl get hot yes but it is amazing how quickly it cools down. It usually only takes some pressure from sitting on it or even a little wind or breeze. Most boat owners have towels on the seats to protect them anyway but I would 100% pay for chill tech vinyl again. The only issue we have is with it being black you see sunscreen on it, not usually after a day but after a week in Shasta with 10 people on the boat we did.
                    A man can only be beaten 2 ways - give up or die!

Comment

Originally posted by ddutcher View Post
                      My Supra has an all black chill tech interior an we love it. Cleaning with warm water and a little dawn has worked great. I was very skeptical when we were looking at this boat. Does the vinyl get hot yes but it is amazing how quickly it cools down. It usually only takes some pressure from sitting on it or even a little wind or breeze. Most boat owners have towels on the seats to protect them anyway but I would 100% pay for chill tech vinyl again. The only issue we have is with it being black you see sunscreen on it, not usually after a day but after a week in Shasta with 10 people on the boat we did.
                      Where are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Northern California
                        A man can only be beaten 2 ways - give up or die!

Comment

the best protection for marine seats and decorations. You can easily clean dirt, mold, and other dirt on the seats with a soft cloth or brush. I buy Meguiar's boat vinyl cleaner every year so I can keep the inside of the boat clean. I use it every time I go to the boat, just to keep the seats clean and white.
                          Last edited by Dalton07; 05-06-2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X