Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSA installation complete (+ transom LEDs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrentB View Post

Maybe I’ll do the same. Did you use the 0.68” cable clams?
    Yep .68.
    Easy install and peace of mind.
    For 100% transparency my setup used Bennett actuators not Lenco but I assume the wire sizes are about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post

Have you provided your HIN to Tige to see what the original hull build color was?
      I guess I’ll have to, when I want to fix that grey. I’m assuming all the gel is one color, and they spray the other colors on to it, but maybe I’m wrong. The tower is painted the same as most of the hull, but I guess they could have matched the grey paint to the gel. I’m pretty versed on gel and paint, but I don’t know Tige’s actual build process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

Its been a while since Ive seen pics of Zackdogg boat but I think its Stone CCP from Spectrum(gel coat).

Comment

Its been a while since Ive seen pics of Zackdogg boat but I think its Stone CCP from Spectrum(gel coat).
          You know way more about what’s what, than I do? Do they use separate gel for each color on the hull??

Comment

Yes they do. They mask and then lay down one color. Then mask again and lay down another, and so on and so forth. If you remove one of you Taps plate hinges and use a countersink bit at one of the screw holes you will see the multiple layers of colors and can tell in which order it was sprayed into the mold. After gel the chopped strand/mat and resin starts getting laid in.

Comment

Like Mike said, Tige can gove you original color off of HIN. Stone is light gray. I think that color is called Graphite. Spectrum supplies pretty much everyones gel coat. They have a downloadable catalog on their website and an index in the back. IIRC correctly you have to order it thru a dealer. Be sure to order well in advance of your project as it cant be shipped via air freight.

Comment

Launched the boat and went for a quick test run. Storm clouds started rolling in so didn’t have time to surf.

My initial impression is that the wake doesn’t look that much different, at least not from inside the boat. But it seems to be WAY more sensitive to where passengers are seated. When I switched from left to right, the goofy side wake was complete crap until the 4 passengers moved over to the right side of the boat.

I ran full front and rear ballast (subfloor + plug n play). Will have to mess around with different ballast settings and TAPS/Surf settings.

I’ll be going back out on Thursday to play with it some more and actually surf it.
                Last edited by BrentB; 08-05-2020, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Yes they do. They mask and then lay down one color. Then mask again and lay down another, and so on and so forth. If you remove one of you Taps plate hinges and use a countersink bit at one of the screw holes you will see the multiple layers of colors and can tell in which order it was sprayed into the mold. After gel the chopped strand/mat and resin starts getting laid in.
                  As usual, you come to the rescue with good info, so thanks yet again bro!! I’ve been meaning to research that. I have a couple of scratches, and under our bow is pretty scuffed from beaching. Knowing I have some gel to color sand or cut and buff makes me feel a little better. When I found out the tower is auto paint, and not powder, I thought maybe there was auto paint on the hull, which I wasn’t too keen on. Good news!!

Comment

Launched the boat and went for a quick test run. Storm clouds started rolling in so didn’t have time to surf.

My initial impression is that the wake doesn’t look that much different, at least not from inside the boat. But it seems to be WAY more sensitive to where passengers are seated. When I switched from left to right, the goofy side wake was complete crap until the 4 passengers moved over to the right side of the boat.

I ran full front and rear ballast (subfloor + plug n play). Will have to mess around with different ballast settings and TAPS/Surf settings.

I’ll be going back out on Thursday to play with it some more and actually surf it.
                    Did you read UNSTUCK ‘s thread, where he built and installed his version of the GSAs? I want to say it took him 3 or 4 trips out to get his wave more dialed. I think bsreid also had some info on it taking different TAPs and Surf numbers to dial it in.

Are you running extra bow weight? What speeds are you surfing?

Comment

I was not running extra bow weight. I’m actually wondering if I need less bow weight, not more. Maybe the back end is not sunk enough (?larger plates, more lift at the rear?) The GSA website says “our system does not like weight in the front of the boat.” I’ll just have to try everything and see what works. I had barely any time at all yesterday because of the unexpected thunderstorm. Had to race back to my dock and barely got the cover on before it started pouring.

Comment

How far down do your tabs deploy? Give me that number and I will be able to help you out with what surf settings to run.
                        The tab is significantly bigger but they should be deploying half as much meaning less lift.

RZX3 needs bow weight. Rzx2 likes it in the middle

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                          How far down do your tabs deploy? Give me that number and I will be able to help you out with what surf settings to run.
                          The tab is significantly bigger but they should be deploying half as much meaning less lift.

RZX3 needs bow weight. Rzx2 likes it in the middle
                          I measured my fully deployed angle at 12-13 degrees during installation.

Comment

12-13 are good numbers. So I'd guess your ideal surf numbers now are 5-6, not the more normal 3-4. I didn't worry too much about what the degree of the tabs were. I focused on roll numbers of 4-5* and pitch at 9-10 degrees. You can use your phone to get these angles. I added stick on angle finders to the helm area. Use ballast as much as possible to get these angles and then fine tune with the different tabs. The more downward tab you use the more it lifts the stern out of the water, negating your ballast back there. Like others have said, you need bow weight to overcome all the stern weight to ride at 10* bow high. Otherwise you'll use too much taps plate forcing the stern up and bow down. I liked 400ish pounds of people weight up there, or sometimes I would fill a throw over pump ballast bag and use it up there. In deep water we would have KILLER wave.

Comment

Finally got back out on the water today and was able to spend a little time surfing.

My initial impression is that the GSA wake has way more push at the back end. I was never able to surf so far back with such ease (I kept dropping farther and farther back without having to apply barely any additional pressure on my front foot). Almost like it was impossible to fall off the back end. So the wake doesn’t “look” super long, but it does “feel” long.

I’m still having trouble cleaning up the edge of the wake. With full ballast my settings were SURF 4 and TAPS 2-3. Higher numbers cause the edge of the wake to really fall apart.

On a side note - I may have a ballast leak. My rear left “above floor” bag kept losing water (not a lot of water, but enough to make the bag mushy. I was also able to pump a fair amount of water from my bilge (much more than usual). So I’ll need to spend some time inspecting the ballast fittings and also the new thru-hull fittings tomorrow.

Comment

Finally got back out on the water today and was able to spend a little time surfing.

My initial impression is that the GSA wake has way more push at the back end. I was never able to surf so far back with such ease (I kept dropping farther and farther back without having to apply barely any additional pressure on my front foot). Almost like it was impossible to fall off the back end. So the wake doesn’t “look” super long, but it does “feel” long.

I’m still having trouble cleaning up the edge of the wake. With full ballast my settings were SURF 4 and TAPS 2-3. Higher numbers cause the edge of the wake to really fall apart.

On a side note - I may have a ballast leak. My rear left “above floor” bag kept losing water (not a lot of water, but enough to make the bag mushy. I was also able to pump a fair amount of water from my bilge (much more than usual). So I’ll need to spend some time inspecting the ballast fittings and also the new thru-hull fittings tomorrow.
                                Did you drill a hole in your ballast hose when installing new plates? I believe freeheel4life admitted he’s done it last year doing bracket updated on Taps3.. sorry free for bringing up bad memories!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X