Whale tail under swim platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whale tail under swim platform

Has anyone tried removing that whale tail looking thing underneath the swim platform? I added a suction wake shaper to the side of my boat (rz2) and love the effect on the wave.

Has anyone:

1) removed the whale tale? Is it structural at all?
    2) has anyone removed it and used a wake shaper and found it was an improvement?
    3) is there any use for it? I noticed it’s not offered on new tige boats and they have gone the way of the surf gate system.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is yours the AVX or just the VX? We removed 2 VX on my lake with good results.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by Rogcapital View Post
      Has anyone tried removing that whale tail looking thing underneath the swim platform? Yes, its has been done by quite a few Tige Owners. I added a suction wake shaper to the side of my boat (rz2) and love the effect on the wave.

Has anyone:

1) removed the whale tale? Yes Is it structural at all? No, if you define structural as permanently installed on the boat (part of the mold).
      2) has anyone removed it and used a wake shaper and found it was an improvement? This is debatable - many love the VX and AVX (A=adjustable). Others prefer wake shapers. And others decide to spend a little more for TAPS 3 plates or GSA plates.
      3) is there any use for it? Yes, it was designed to lengthen the running surface of the boat, therefore creating a cleaner, better wave. Keep in mind though, Tige only installed these on '14 and '15 models. I noticed it’s not offered on new tige boats and they have gone the way of the surf gate system. Surf Gate may be a term some would use, but please understand "Surf Gates" are specific to a different boat brand (not Tige). Tige has TAPS3 and TAPS3T. They are different in many ways.

Comment

I have the VX which I retrofitted to my 2007 rz2. I now regret doing that as it seem to have little to no effect on the surf wave.

So some owners have removed the VX and added a shaper and have better results!?

Is removing the VX as simple as removing the screws from the VX? I don’t want to damage the integrity of the swim platform in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
          Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I’m looking for. Are the shapers used instead of the VX? Are they compatible or conflicting? If I get a better wave by removing the VX and keeping the wakeshaper vs VX plus wakeshaper then it’s a no brainer. But would like to know that before going through the hassle of removing the VX.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogcapital View Post
            Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I’m looking for. Are the shapers used instead of the VX? Are they compatible or conflicting? If I get a better wave by removing the VX and keeping the wakeshaper vs VX plus wakeshaper then it’s a no brainer. But would like to know that before going through the hassle of removing the VX.
            We used a wake shaper with the VX on our 2014 Z1. We loved that wave when the boat was weighted right (1k in lead, upgraded ballast bags). They are compatible on 14-15 models, can't say for sure on your boat, as it was never intended for that year (although I would imagine it would still work). Depending on your budget and your desire for the best wave from your boat, I would recommend removing the VX plate, getting rid of the wake shaper, and adding GSA tabs... but that's not cheap (anywhere from $1500 - $5000, depending on if you install or dealer installs).

Comment

Will consider that for sure. Not a problem with weight. I run a 1400 pound bag in each of the back compartments. A 1400 pound bag in the front left and a 800 bag in the front of the right. Obviously not all filled to capacity.

This could be a winter project but for this summer it’s either VX on or off with 1 or 2 shapers. That’s what I have to play with.

Comment

VX platforms usually need more weight to really benefit. Like much more than factory ballast. As @D&P Powell mentioned he had upgraded bags AND 1k in lead. With additional running surface/length the transom want to float a bit higher while under way. Get it sunk into the water with a shaper and it should perform better....or go to plates/tabs

Comment

I have a 2014 RZ2 and love the VX wave! I have 1200lbs bags in each rear corner and find the VX lengthens the wave (we're 25'ish + feet back from the back of the boat and IMHO creates a cleaner steeper wave then others I've seen without it. I also upgraded my prop to a 1235 and added FAE. I run 10.8, taps at 2 and everything filled 100%. I use a Mission Delta shaper and its been a must have to make the wave as great as it is. (see picture below)

Comment

379FD945-85B1-4621-871A-7ADEF5CA8B84.jpeg

Comment

Wow that’s a beautiful wave. I guess there is no way to really know except take off the VX and do a comparison.

Comment

I am definitely interested in hearing what you think about your wave with and without the VX. I will say that my wave on my Z3 with the VX, upgraded bags, and a Nauticurl is a very good wave (pics below). I have been hard pressed to spend the $ for a new boat since I'm not sure I'm going to get $70K more of a wave on top of what I have. Additionally, prior to my Z3 I built a VX like platform for my Z1 (this was prior to Tige coming out with VX) and my wave was night and day better with my homemade device than without.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send you a write up on how to remove it. It is quite simple. I took mine off my 2013 Z1 because it came with the wrong brackets. When I got the correct brackets and upgraded the ballast, it was a great wave. I miss that wave!
                          "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Nice wave on the Z3. I’m not complaining about my wave with the VX. I think it’s a better wave than a G23 that I also surf. But want to see if it’s better without the VX.

Comment

Working...
                            X