Adding transom lights during GSA install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding transom lights during GSA install

I have GSA plates on the way. Will be doing the work myself when I get some free time (2018 RZX2).

The upper mounting brackets for the actuators are repositioned (lowered) during the GSA installation. This leaves holes where the actuators were previously mounted. Anyone see any problem with using these holes to run the wires for transom lighting? The position of the lights may end up being a touch high, but probably okay.

Was thinking of ordering the Lifeform 9 lights. I know there is an existing transom light plug/connector behind the rear starboard locker. Is there another plug/connector in the port side locker or do both lights somehow get wired to the same plug?

Thanks,

Brent
    Last edited by BrentB; 07-16-2020, 04:37 PM.

There should be a drop on both sides. Blue and white stripe wire and black pair with some butt connectors crimped on. Have had troubles finding the port side pair before. Sometimes its zipped up with the bundle of wires around the blower.

If you cant find the port you can wire them both to the stbd drop in the harness..

Comment

Thanks freehill. The installation instructions for the Lifeform 9 LEDs gives warnings regarding wiring these lights in new boats with PDMs and touchscreens. I am assuming the existing wiring in my boat allows for simple and safe installation of the lights with no other modifications to the electrical system required. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, the position of the lights (if I use the old actuator wire hole as described above) would not likely be 6 inches below the water line as suggested in the installation instructions. Does anyone anticipate this to be a problem?

Comment

Correct. You will have to enable underh20 at the dealer screen. I have had an issue where 2 lifeforms 20s would eventually exceed amp limit for PDM but I just added a relay, so screen would drive the coil. Easy workaround. Havent had an issue with 9s.

The 9s build heat which is why Lifeform says the need to be underwater. They also say you shouldn't run them that long on the trailer. In almost any transom position if you are underway the lights are out of the water. Have surfed some decently long sets with them on at night and havent had one burn up. They are a stout light.

I just try and mount them about as far apart as I can get them to maximize light area radius. Close together the beams just overlap.

Comment

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

Regarding access to the wires where they come through the transom, does anyone know how this area is most easily accessed?

Another forum member told me on his 2017 RZX3 he was able to remove the 3 screws in the floor of each rear compartment which allowed access to the sub-floor ballast bag along with easy access to where the actuator wires entered through the transom. Does anyone know if this is the same with a 2018 RZX2?

Comment

Originally posted by BrentB View Post
            Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

Regarding access to the wires where they come through the transom, does anyone know how this area is most easily accessed?

Another forum member told me on his 2017 RZX3 he was able to remove the 3 screws in the floor of each rear compartment which allowed access to the sub-floor ballast bag along with easy access to where the actuator wires entered through the transom. Does anyone know if this is the same with a 2018 RZX2?
            Anyone know the answer to this question before I start dismantling the subfloor ballast?

Comment

Brent, shoot me a PM with you contact info

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                Brent, shoot me a PM with you contact info
                It seems you’ve exceeded your PM quota. Couldn’t send the message.

Comment

Shoot. I'll clear some out. I could post here but I'm on the road hauling a boat.

Cleared
                  Last edited by freeheel4life; 07-19-2020, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Still saying full.

My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx

Thanks for the call, freehill. Appreciate it!
                    Last edited by BrentB; 07-19-2020, 02:23 AM.

Comment

The train parts guy is going to text you sweet nothings now!

Good luck fellow brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Popped out the rear ballast and removed the floor (3 simple screws). This allows easy access to the transom where the actuator wires enter the boat. Took 5 minutes. I wish I had known that last summer when I had to swap out my faulty Lencos. I spent hours and a year’s worth of 4-letter words trying to fish the wire back through. At the time, I didn’t realize the floor could be removed - I though that was a hard tank ballast - not just a cover over a subfloor bag.

Comment

Working...
                        X