Steering very firm????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering very firm????

I have noticed that my steering wheel has a bit of play, about 2-3”. It is also getting firm to turn the wheel...

is it time to replace the cable?? Or is there an adjustment and lube?

Replace the cable, itll be a night a day difference. I've done 3 boats myself and hasn't been too difficult on any of them. Totally worth it

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got went to look up the number...of course it is behind the fuse boards/panels so the only way I can get to the number is to remove the cable, which I don’t want to do until I have a replacement.

does anyone know the number for a 2013 z3 ?

also, after looking at the engine compartment...this does not look easy at all..... please tell me there is an easy way to get to the rudder hook up?????

Comment

Watched this video...anyone do their own z3??? Video makes it sound like you can not get the new cable through the original build points. Thoughts???

https://youtu.be/BKIOBFz1BNE

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post
          Just got went to look up the number...of course it is behind the fuse boards/panels so the only way I can get to the number is to remove the cable, which I don’t want to do until I have a replacement.

does anyone know the number for a 2013 z3 ?

also, after looking at the engine compartment...this does not look easy at all..... please tell me there is an easy way to get to the rudder hook up?????
          I have a rz2 and just removed the batteries and side engine panel. Still a reach to get in there but not terrible

Comment

I just did the steering cable on my 2013 R20. It was a pain. One thing I did not realize, I disconnected the whole metal end (sleeve). I only needed to disconnect from the rudder and then undo from the metal sleeve and it would have slid it out of the sleeve. I could not find detailed instructions on exactly how to do it and I am brand new to inboards. The replacement did make a night and day difference. Reaching in there for the bolts etc, is a time consuming and patient task. Breathe! Good luck.

Comment

I’m probably too fat to climb in there AND breathe...so I will probably just cuss a lot!!!

Comment

I did mine in about an hour with the help of my buddy. Definitely 2 people job

Comment

Originally posted by Rz22013 View Post
                  I did mine in about an hour with the help of my buddy. Definitely 2 people job

Z3???

did you run the cable the same way as the original cable ?

Comment

Originally posted by MJO21 View Post

Z3???

did you run the cable the same way as the original cable ?
                    Rz2 ran it the same way. Cut the cable in 2 different places to remove easier and then used a fish tape to pull new one throw

Comment

Running the cable over the tank will save a lot of headaches and havent seen a downside to it yet.

Comment

Disconnect the cable from under the helm and tie a 10' length of cord to it. Disconnect from the rudder and start pulling it away from the helm from the rear locker. Once the helm end of cable is pulled into the engine bay, remove it, and pull rest of the cable out. Install the new cable by attaching the helm end on to the cord that you just pulled through into the engine bay and have someone help feed the cable back through as you pull it back toward the helm. Pretty simple.
                        If I'm not surfing, I'm making money to surf.

Comment

Part number is inaccessible without removal... does anyone know the part number?

I found a guy that has a 2015 z3...his cable was: SSCx15422

i have a 2013 z3....still the same part???

Comment

correct. It is a 22' cable in the Z3's.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                              Running the cable over the tank will save a lot of headaches and havent seen a downside to it yet.
                              This is the right way. Over the tank. The only reason it was under from the factory was because of the order of install, not because it was preferred. It was faster to build them with the cable below.
                              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X