Fuel System Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel System Issues?

Seems I just can’t leave well enough alone... Still learning my new to me 2006 22Ve and with the exception of the starter issue in my last post, she’s been running good so far. However, given it’s a 2006 I decided it would be worthwhile to run some sea foam through it. So I put 3 cans in with 25 gallons of fuel (basically the 2oz per gallon ratio on the bottle).
    So, after about 10-15 minutes on the lake, it started “sputtering” or missing or lunging when the RPMs were above 2000 or so (so losing /regaining power). It seemed to be inconsistent in frequency as it may happen every few seconds or it may go 30-60 seconds in between, but overall happening very consistently.
    My first thoughts are fuel filter, fuel pump or plugs, and check my connections (as it did seem to correspond more when hitting wakes), but it seems way too coincidental to not be related to the sea foam. Anyone else had similar issues after fuel treatments? And where would you all recommend I start?

Thanks all!

Okay, pulled the plugs and a few of them definitely look a little worse for the wear. Going to start with replacing those. Also ordered a new G Force fuel filter. Lake's about 45 mins away and can't get up there every day. Do you all typically try one thing at a time and then go from there or address multiple possible candidates if not too expensive?

Not an expert, but here's a few of the plugs. Definitely don't look recent...

Comment

In general I like to start with cap, rotor, plugs, and sometimes wires. Gforce filter will be a good one. I recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge and hooking it up to the rail next time you are out. If pressure goes low when the issue presents you know where to start looking. If fuel pressure stays steady I start thinking ignition.

Its just my opinion but seafoam and most other products are snake oil and dont "fix" anything. Though I do run an additive in my diesel...but thats because of ULSD and to fight fuel gelling in the winter(I ski in some cold places)

Comment

I've never been a big additive guy and I don't put anything in my automobiles. But I also tend to buy new vehicles, drive them for 5-7 years with regular dealer service and then sell them before most major work tends to happen. It wasn't until I stumbled across this YouTube video (https://youtu.be/agAWXnT4-EQ) and a handful of references across this site, that I figured it could be beneficial for an older engine that's likely to have buildup. (That Project Farm guy has a few others where he compares Sea Foam, Marvel Mystery Oil and one or two more and - at least in an old mower - they do appear to have some benefit.)
        This 2006 is the oldest engine I own by a decade. But I wanted a proper wake boat and just wasn't ready for a second mortgage for something I get 4-5 months use of a year.
        Plan on picking up a fuel pressure gauge. Having a little trouble sourcing the cap/rotor. Found the whole distributor assembly at marineenginedepot.com which honestly is priced such that it makes sense anyway. Hardest part now is convincing the wife that all this money is well spent on our "new" boat. Doesn't help that I had a couple self-induced F-ups at about $500 each and a new starter at $250 and we've only been boat owners since March. :-D

Comment

Swapping plugs seems to have addressed the issue. Still plan to change the fuel filter, but given my luck with **** going wrong when I do "preventive maintenance", I'm going to do that at the end of the season with fluid changes and winterization. Just wanted to post an update.

Comment

Working...
          X