Wave Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wave Opinion

Hey everyone. So, I finally had some time to go out and Surf and get some good feedback on the wave behind my boat. I wanted to validate that my thought process was in line. 2007 22VE - We had 4 people in the boat (Probably 800LBS of Human Ballast) plus all the stock tanks full (900 LBS total in the boat). I did NOT fill up any of my 3 temporary water bags because I wanted to set a baseline.

Observations: Wave was big IMHO (About thigh to hip high), but didnt have much push (You could surf down the wave but not stay in the pocket). Pocket was short and close to the boat

Assumptions: (If you guys could validate..)

1) I need a wakeshaper to extend the pocket
    2) I need more weight on the surf side by a fair margin (800-1000 LBS Minimum) - I could do this with fly high sacks I already own

Questions:

1) Could the board be a MAJOR inhibitor to going ropeless? Hyperlight Broadcast - wanted a cheap durable board to learn on thats easy to get up on. It's serving that purpose well. Want to make sure that i could almost sink the boat with weight but still not get to ropeless because the board will never go.

2) Am I missing anything else?

Pictures for context (No, this is not me)

IMG_3529.jpgIMG_3538.jpg
    Attached Files

I make and sell these shapers which is what I use with great results on my 07 22VE. I’ve owned and got rid of a Mission Delta and a Nauticurl.
    I have a little over a thousand in the surf rear corner and run about 70% of that in the offside. Bow holds about 600 (full on the goofy side about 50% when regular)
    TAPS 3-5 depending on side and wave shape desired and speed 11.6-12.2 depending on how many people are in the boat. I find there is a lot more firmness and push in the wave with more speed.
    More speed, more bow weight, lower TAPS number make the wave longer but shorter.
    Less speed, higher TAPS number, less bow weight make the wave taller and the pocket shorter.
    This boat needs a bit of list even with a shaper to throw a beauty wave.
    Attached Files

Comment

you should decide whether or not you want to list or suckgate.
      I only ever listed my 22ve, you'll find proponents in both camps of listing and suckgate. decide what you like.
      chpthril custom rear sacks above the factory hardtanks. estimating 12-1300lbs in the rear. front was the factory ballast. ve's don't need a bunch of nose weight.
      this got us a great wave with 5 in the boat. with only 3 or 4 and we would have added lead.
      speed 11.4-11.6. taps at 3 for shorter skim, 4 for taller surf style.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Got it Sandm. So in that case you just ran weight and leaned the boat over... Hm..

I think the 3 fat sacks are 1200 lbs total or so. I may do that next and see what happens...

Comment

they take a minute to fill but reach out to chpthril and he can hook ya up with the enzo styled sacks for that hull along with how to plumb in additiional drain/fill pumps. I didn't have to do any drilling in the bottom as he has ideas to use the holes already there. did have to drill on each side above the water line but it's not hard if you take your time. having it all plumbed in makes it much easier than tossing pumps over the edge every time. if you don't use lead on the smaller crew days then you will probably still have to fill one.
          should note we had a great wave on the regular side but didn't spend a lot of time dialing in the goofy side as I have only had a few goofy riders over the years. same concept tho. weight, weight and more weight
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

My wife just looked at me shocked. “Five dudes and all the water in the boat and it wasn’t enough?!” Hah

Any thoughts of the board is an issue? Or is it going to be fine to at least chill in the pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Goofy loves bow weight where as regular not so much. My regular side I maybe fill the bow sac half full. Goofy I fill it 100% and add another 250lbs in lead on top if not more sometimes. Surf speed is usually 11.4 taps 3-4 (usually a bit lower with goofy).

Your best result will be list & suckgate. List for a clean face and a gate to help add push and length. It all gets better with more weight.

Three things come in to play with surfing: Wave, board, and skill. Skill can make up for the others where lacking. The bigger the wave the smaller the board you can potentially ride or the easier it is to ride the board. If you are just starting out then the lack of skill is usually the bigger factor. Learn to move 1" at a time in your hips whether forward, back, side to side. The boards reaction is delayed from the movement. This will help you find that sweet spot in your wave where you can then learn to stand there and ultimately drop the rope.

Comment

This is your potential. I'm always playing but this is about my baseline set up. I also run a DIY suckgate about 18" from the rear to stop the spray from going across to the good side of the wave. 1235 Prop and Corey's wakeplate.

Goofy Wave:
                Bow 800lbs
                port side ~850lbs
                starboard ~960lbs

Regular:
                Bow ~ 200lbs
                Port~1550lbs
                Starboard ~750lbs

Comment

Working...
                X