Fuel Level Reading Variance - Which Is Accurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Level Reading Variance - Which Is Accurate

2017 RZX2 - my fuel level as indicated on the touch screen can vary by as much as 15-20% depending on angle of the bow. I assume the most accurate reading is when boat is as near level as possible. Unfortunately, when heavily ballasted, bow angle is always higher, even at rest.

I generally know we burn about 9 gal an hr if engine running and surfing the whole time. Further confounding my mental calcs on remaining fuel is while on trailer fuel will show let's 10%, but I'm only able to pump 35 gal in. Should be close to 55-60 Gal if really only 10% fuel. I fill with both gas caps open to vent and help prevent foam.

What does everyone else do to determine actual fuel level?

Sure would be nice if fuel level indicator auto adjusted for bow angle.

Pretty much every manufacturer builds a good sized cushion in so you dont run out of fuel on the water. Most are accomplishing this by not running a sender that goes all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Some hate it....I think they'd hate it more when they wind up dead on the water.

Sender a bit more towards the rear of the tank so when bow high the fuel runs to the back of the tank. Level reading is your most accurate.

Comment

freeheel4life Thanks for the feedback. Wish I knew what that cushion is. I’m in the as little gas in the tank as possible over Winter camp since my boat is stored indoors with zero frost chances.

Definitely agree this is far better than running out.

Funny, I never had range anxiety with my EVs

Comment

If a guy really want to nerd out there is a way to do figure out your cushion but RZX2 is a nightmare to do it on because you would need to slide the tank back so you can pull out the sender.

Or on extreme off chance Koolaid isn't too busy(which I'm sure like everyone in the business he is) he could possibly post sender length and tank dimensions. Then a guy could figure it out.

As far as winter layup, Im in the camp of its far more important to be worried about ethanol. For the non ethanol guys I encourage them to switch a few trips before they know they are done boating for the year....but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X