Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 Tige 22VE Limp Mode

Hi
    I have a question about a boat I'm looking at buying.
    5.7 Marine Power 22ve 220 hours
    Everything is in great condition with the boat overall
    It has a mechanical issue though. It starts and runs perfect at idle all the time but when in the water under load as soon as start to throttle up it goes into limp mode and wont go above 2000ish rmps.
    Compression 170 on all
    New plugs wires and rotor
    2 new batteries
    Fuel has half tank from last year and half new
    He was told could be throttle position sensor or pps
    His mechanic currently is trying a new map

Any ideas on if this could be a really major issue or is it likely to be a sensor or fuel issue that wont involve a huge bill to fix.

Boat is priced very well but sold as is.

Thanks for any input.

I have a rz2 2007. At around 3000 rpms the boat will lose power and make a backfire noise. It’s been a problem for 3 seasons already. My mechanic calls it the ghost in the machine because no one can fix it. Not tige, not marine power, not the local dealer or local mechanic. I know it’s not exactly the same problem but it’s close enough. So I would not buy this boat unless you can conclusively diagnosis and fix this problem. It can be a simple fix or multi-summer unending fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Given the age, its likely the throttle position sensor on the throttle lever. Scan for codes?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The code came back for the throttle sensor at a previous mechanic he had it at but The owner was quoted over 2 k for that fix and has had a bad experience so didn’t think that was the problem and didn’t want to spend that. Now he’s trying to trade it in and they think it is the map sensor at the dealer he has it at. I really don’t think this could be very major problem but not sure. Thanks for the inputs
        Last edited by WillyFire; 06-25-2020, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Throttle position sensor is likely culprit. If MEFI 4 and dual battery may need to do the rewire to avoid mismatch in voltage. If 2007 marine power likely not MEFI 4. Start with throttle position sensor and go from there. Cheap fix.

Comment

Okay. Is there a right up on that I can do alot of my own mechanical if have a right up to follow and no ecu type flash needs done. I don’t want to be stuck without a boat all summer though. Would be 6-10k under what a working 22ve would sell for

Comment

I had the exact same problem on my 2007 RZ2 with the same engine, it had to do with the ECU feeling too much pressure under load. I sent my ECU into Marine Power before the start of last summer and they reflashed it and the problem went away and it never went into limp mode once last summer. Call Ed at Marine Power, 1-877-882-1947 and ask him to do the same reflash that he did for Chris Ulrich and Adrian Ward, it was less than 200 if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by WillyFire View Post
                Okay. Is there a right up on that I can do alot of my own mechanical if have a right up to follow and no ecu type flash needs done. I don’t want to be stuck without a boat all summer though. Would be 6-10k under what a working 22ve would sell for
                You can fix a lot of broken stuff for 10 grand brother

Good luck!

Comment

It’s worth trying to reflash ECM through marine power for sure. But it doesn’t always work. I did same thing, had it reflashed through eddy at marine power but i didn’t work in my case. Also have a 2007 rz2.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like could be a few different things nothing major but could be chasing after finding the fix all summer.

Comment

Well im very close to buying this boat. Here is what i found out today the dealer it is at put the map in and it cleared the code for that which is all the codes it had. But it doesn't have correct fuel pressure. They said they are 100% confident its fuel related and one of these 3 things will fix it. One fuel pump had a loose wire and they are thinking the other pump had over worked itself and may need replaced. But they want to 1st try fuel filter then fuel pump and if not that a fuel regulator. Does this sound like something that will fix this? I'm willing to take a risk but I don't really want to be without a boat all summer too. They also said the Throttle position sensor was fine the voltage was checked and it was fine.

Comment

There was a case on another thread where a similar problem ending up being a loose fuel pump wire.

Comment

So that’s 17hrs a year for the boat. 17 is a little on the low side. I wonder how long the boat has sat unused? Under use can be problematic....do you know if the boat sat for a couple years?

Comment

It has ran fine for around 30-40 hours the past couple years.

Comment

Did you end up buying the boat?

Comment

Working...
                              X