Screen not turning on - ‘18 RZX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen not turning on - ‘18 RZX2

Yesterday my screen wouldn’t turn on. I assumed maybe the battery was dead because I had inadvertently left the battery selector switch in the on position for several days. I plugged in the on-board charger and left it charge overnight. No error messages on the charger. This morning the charger was in “maintain” mode.

The engine starts just fine and the blower, bilge and nav lights turn on using the switches under the port side seat even with the engine off. So I’m assuming this is not a battery issue.

The 20A Helm fuse looks fine.

When I press the button to turn on the screen, the blue ring around the button also does not light. So it seems unlikely that this is just a dead screen issue. Seems to be something specific with the power to the screen and not the screen itself.

What else can I do to troubleshoot this?

Only other quick thing to try is switch boat over to combine and run it. If that works your house battery was flat dead. If the charger doesn't see enough voltage it won't start tending to the battery and you will see a red light to the maintain light of that is the case.

Comment

With switch in “combine” position engine starts, screen still does not come on.

The maintain light on the charger this morning was blue.

Comment

Yup. Youve got yourself a genuine problem.

I cant remember where button gets its power from but theres a small round hatch on the wlkthru wall in your battery compartment. I you remove the cover theres a small fuse block. Could check fuses there.
        .beyond that it is going to require a multimeter, time, and some choice words.

Comment

Checked all those fuses as well. They look good.

Comment

If the house battery were dead, would the manual switches still be working for blower/bilge/nav etc? Can I assume that the house battery is good since these are working? Or are these switches somehow wired to both batteries and therefore drawing from the starting battery?

Comment

Removed and tested the deep cycle battery. It’s reading 12.6V. So doesn’t seem to be a battery issue.

Comment

Check for breakers in the battery compartment.

Comment

I did some more searching through old forum posts and found this post regarding the exact same issue, but with a ‘17 Z3...

”isolated the problem. overlooked a fuse. the circuit that powers the screen has a dead short. put a new fuse in and as soon as i turn batteries on it blows. that circuit also powers the rear video. unplugged the power for the video and it works perfect. looked like there was moisture in the camera, so thats most likely the problem. working for now.”

My boat has had moisture in the camera since last summer. I never use the camera so I just sort of forgot about it. I’m wondering if this is the issue. Only problem is I’ve never seen a fuse box/panel under the dash - I’m assuming a ‘17 Z3 should be wired nearly the same as an ‘18 RZX2. So tomorrow I’ll have to look for the “little fuse panel with 4 fuses under the dash” that was also mentioned in that old post.

Ugh. This has been a frustrating day.

Comment

The frustration continues. I’m not able to locate any other fuses under the dash. So if a blown fuse from a short caused by moisture in the camera is the problem, I have no idea where that fuse would be and no idea how to disconnect power to the camera.

Any ideas?

Comment

Okay, I think I found the problem. One of the 5A fuses in the fuse panel behind the circular panel near the battery compartment is blown. I checked them yesterday, but did not notice it was blown (it’s a little brown fuse, hard to see through). I checked them again with a flashlight and it is in fact blown. How frustrating that I didn’t notice yesterday. Lesson learned.

Comment

Fixed.

Replaced the fuse. Blew again. Disconnected the camera. Working fine now.

Replacing the camera will be a job for another day.

Thanks freeheel for letting me know about the fuse box behind the round panel near the walkthrough wall. I didn’t know it was there.

And fortunately I found that old post about the camera or I never would have suspected it.

Comment

Glad you got it going!!

Comment

Working...
                          X