Cleaning swimstep brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning swimstep brackets

Does anyone else get this type of calcium or growth on their swim step brackets? This pic is after the boat had been in the water for a month plus. I was able to scrub most of it off but there are still some areas that are won’t come off. Any cleaners that will take it off? You would think Tige would use a metal that would not be prone to this.

Wow. Are you in salt or brackish water?? Does it stay in a marina?? There are various acid cleaners for aluminum. Toonbrite is one of them.

Comment

I have the slightest buildup on mine but nothing even close to that.
      Maybe try some of the CLR stuff on it.

Comment

I’ve always heard about using vinegar for cleaning water spots. So I did a little research recently and discovered white vinegar can be used for all sorts of cleaning applications. For example, I used a 3:1 ratio of water to white vinegar to clean calcium build up my shower heads at the house and it worked very well. I’m guessing it will take care of that just as good as CLR will and it’s probably cheaper than CLR...

Basically vinegar is acidic, which is why it works so well on calcium buildup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Aluminum brackets act a lot like a sacrificial anode hence the build up on the brackets and not the stainless steel exhaust or surf plates. Best you can do is try and keep them clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
            Wow. Are you in salt or brackish water?? Does it stay in a marina?? There are various acid cleaners for aluminum. Toonbrite is one of them.
            Fresh water. Lake Havasu AZ. I’ll try CRL next time I pull it out. Tried vinegar with little to no luck.

Comment

Need a good stiff brush, possibly even a metal bristle brush, some CLR and some elbow grease. Mine does the same thing but not quite as bad because I don’t leave it in the water for more than a week at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                Need a good stiff brush, possibly even a metal bristle brush, some CLR and some elbow grease. Mine does the same thing but not quite as bad because I don’t leave it in the water for more than a week at a time.
                Scotchbrite pads seem to be working the best out of everything I have tried.

Comment

Working...
                X