Ballast setup and surf wave video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast setup and surf wave video

Finally got around to messing with a bunch of setups. I tried a bunch of different combinations and found some results I didn't expect from where/how I normally run my surf setup. This is just scratching the surface. I have more ballast on its way as I type this.

​​​​​​I put in the description of the video the time stamps for the different waves

I'm sure there's a million other ways to do it, this is just what I did over an afternoon on the water.

​​​​​​​

I might be missing something but I don’t see a video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
      I might be missing something but I don’t see a video
      Might be your settings Bamer. I see it.

Comment

I wasn't even sure it got posted? The new link feature embedded the video rather than just putting a link to YouTube.

Comment

I’m using Tapatalk app! Where can I change a setting to show videos?

Comment

I found your channel on YouTube and watched the video... lots of testing....what was your conclusion(s)?

Comment

I can see it just fine on Chrome.
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

My take away is this boat is extremely sensitive to any weight change. The littlest amount can have a big effect.

Also the biggest was bow weight bow weight bow weight.

For skiing I'm bumped up into 70-80% on the front hard tanks and by no means is it a tournament ski wake but it definitely cut the bump down substantially. For surfing it added a ton of length, although while giving up some height and a little push.

It really depends on the rider and what your looking for. I personally like the bigger shorter wave. I'm not doing airs or spins and like the just cruise back there. But others want less of a lip and longer for more room.

I'm going to be very interested to see what it does with a little more weight thrown in there.

Comment

Seems like you were running the center plate at 2-3 a lot. I believe the more reasonable position is 4-5....when running closer to 1, you are just lifting the back of the hull out of the water reducing wave height. Instead of using 2-3, try 4-5 or even 6-7 and add more bow weight to lower the boat pitch if you want to lengthen the wave. I believe the center plate should be used to just clean up the wave, hence set to it largest number possible and still have a clean wave. Use weight distribution for pitch control.

Edit
                  I’m not the first to say the info above...just reiterating knowledge I’ve gained from this forum and 2seasons of experience in my R23. This hull loves more weight....most I’ve had was 3k water, 900lbs lead and about 1600lbs of people plus gear. The wave was awesome!!!!

I also think the hull is more sensitive to roll than pitch...or at least the regular wave is, I don’t have much time in the goofy wave...

Last edited by Bamer; 06-16-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I've always washed the wave out with higher Taps settings so the low numbers were just the happy place I found it liking to run. But yeah that's what I wanted to try when the new ballast gets here, with the new additional bow weight see if the settings will bump up

Comment

A lot of information for sure. Thank you for doing this and posting it.

Comment

14:04 in the video... LMAO!!! Erica - "STOP YELLING"

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
                          14:04 in the video... LMAO!!! Erica - "STOP YELLING"
                          Talk about pot calling the kettle....

Comment

I have a 2018 Z1 (same hull as yours) and have also played with many combinations. Right now, we are running 100% port rear, 70% Starboard Rear, and 100% up in the front. I have Surf set at 10 and Taps at 2. I also have 250lbs of lead on the port side by the passengers feet. I never thought of adding weight up front. According to Wake9 the perfect pitch is 9 degrees and roll of 3 degrees. I use a clinometer to figure out where I am at with this sitting on the floor next to the driver. This weekend I will be trying to add some weight up front to see what happens. Thanks for the video!

Comment

Working...
                            X