Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Tige Z1 Likes/Dislikes (thoughts about next boat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Tige Z1 Likes/Dislikes (thoughts about next boat)

I am starting the process of starting to think about my next boat - that has me in a reflective mood. I am going to share what I love, hate, and wish for so as to help others make an informed buying decision.

#1 Tige color choices both internal and external. The color schemes and graphics are some of the best in the business.
    #2 Interior quality, everything is top notch, we have gatorstep, love the stitching, really like the cockpit layout and design (simplicity).
    #3 Love the aluminum accents, the pop up storage area, the blade tower lights, the underwater lights, the mood light, the courtesy lighting, the speaker rings.
    #4 I like that most of the seating has hinges, but disappointed they are not the newer style that allows more access, we have the pinned type like for a door.
    #5 Tige clear touch is awesome, simple to use, straight forward and works every time, all the time.
    #6 Power Tower is awesome!
    #7 Tower is fantastic and steady, love the docking lights!
    #8 Walk through plastic pop up air shield
    #9 Steering works perfect - Had Moomba Mondo before that would not turn to the right, felt like a car without power steering, that is why we got rid of it. This boat Tige Z1 turns like a sports car on steroids.
    #10 Underwater lights - I added them but they are the best! I go out at night just because of those.
    #11 Drivers Seat - Love the Zcline seat for the driver. It has the perfect design for a boat.

Dislikes:
    #1 reason I might not purchase another Tige (or any Raptor motor) in the future. The transmission slips at about 8mph only after the boat has been in reverse. There is a clunk and squeak noise that happens under load accelerating up past 8mph after the boat has been in reverse. I took it to dealer who contacted Indmar, they said it hasn't failed so they would not replace. So every time we accelerate after picking up a rider we hear the sqeaking clunk. The next question I almost always get asked by friends is... "how much did this boat cost?" implying that it should not have this problem...

#2 Engine error codes - We will get constant error codes unless I leave the blower running, if I run the blower on and off while running the codes go away. They are always oxygen sensor error codes or cylinder misfire codes.

#3 Surf plates - they attached the actuators to my platform which was a stupid design flaw. They no longer do that now but that was an oops that should not have been made. The wave is okay but not great, but I realize this is a limitation of this hull and not a design flaw.

#4 Ballast system - I have had several occasions where a bag will not fill. I have had to unscrew the hose clamps and put electrical tape around the rubber hoses and then put the clamps back on. On more than one occasion I have been hanging upside down in my boat fixing ballast problems.

#5 Battery location - again, some engineer was drunk when he designed where the batteries go. In the 2018 Z1 they are located in the back rear of the boat behind the port ballast bag. Getting to them is almost impossible. I have given up on trying to pull them each winter, now I just stick a trickle charger on them.

#6 Wet Sounds Stereo System - before buying the Z1 we had a Moomba that had a fusion head unit and a 8" JL sub with the JL audio brick amp. I had the speakers running off the head unit. I am not kidding, that stereo setup blows away my Z1 Wetsound DSP dual amp and 10" woofer setup any day of the week. The wetsounds system in my Tige Z1 is not very loud or clear. There is a buzzing sound in the speakers that comes and goes depending upon the day, impossible to diagnose or fix. I like the REV8 speakers on the tower, but only after I replaced the RCA's because they were bad from the factory.

#7 Had to replace the Tige Clear Touch screen myself after it kept having problems right after we bought it, kept locking up. However, the replacement has worked great and have had zero problems since that time.

What I would like:
    1. Rear seats like the Mastercraft X-22 - they are ridiculous and awesome
    2. Subfloor ballast - I will not buy another boat with bags (yuk)
    3. Quicker ballast filling times
    4. Illmore still makes the best engines (but I'm not a Mastercraft fan)
    5. A new boat with all of this : )

So I hear your complaints...just want to throw it out there that I'm a tech at dealer that sells Tige/ATX, Moomba/Supra, and MC. MC has their issues too.. as well as Skiers Choice.. Had a whole run of MC boats where the tanks failed and you have to split the boat to replace them (x series boats) and I assure you we do warranty work for all 3 manufacturers. Ilmor also has two service bulletins out for their brand new 6.0 as well as already had a batch of EPDMs from a supplier be bad this year. Point being nobody is perfect. Thats why boat dealers and car dealers have service depts.

That being said Im curious why you were replacing your own screen and other things that clearly seem like a warranty repair on an 18?? Dealer support on the back end sure helps keep a guy happy and boating.

Good luck on your next boat purchase no matter which brand you choose. Just FYI, most brands with subfloor ballast are still running bags subfloor. MC, Centurion, and MB would be tanks/cavities(unused space outside of stringers hold the water) BUT all of them ALSO plumb in bags over the tanks as well if you really want to weight the boat out to surf. So bags are hard to get away from exclusively.

Best wishes and safe boating.

Comment

Freeheel4life - Thanks for the note... I am very aware that every boat company has issues. My neighbor has a Malibu - had to take it to dealer because of tower misalignment and cruise control not working among other things. My other neighbor has an MC NXT20. Had a stereo sub and amp installed by dealer, but now the stereo makes a high pitch whine when the engine is running. Also had problems with the tower out of alignment, couldn't get the bolts back in. My other neighbor had a brand new X22, had to bring that back because the steering cable rusted and was impossible to turn the boat, I could go on and on. Thanks for the info on the ballast systems, I thought they went to all hard tanks now. To answer your last question - I did replace the Tige Clear touch screen through warranty but installed it myself to save that hour long drive to the dealership. I am quickly discovering that I can actually do a lot of the work myself - sometimes better than the dealerships "mechanics" without having to haul my boat out of the water, drive an hour, wait for repair, go back - drive back another hour, you get the point...

Comment

Also... I'm not picking on you but it was interesting you didn't mention the transmission problem which is the #1 reason why I would be considering buying another boat brand. Seems like nobody wants to touch that gem... I am disappointed Indmar didn't stand behind their product. How great would it be to take the CEO of that company out for a ride in my boat. That would be entertaining, right at the point when the squeaking clunk occurs.

Comment

Didn't feel picked on at all. I get the privilege of talking to customers with new boats that have issues almost daily and many can be quite irate at first. Thanks for the response and the open discussion.

I would have to physically see or hear the noise you are describing. I have ridden in MANY Raptor equipped boats and also know our fleet that we service has a TON of Raptors out in the real world. This would be the first time I've heard of this complaint. Not doubting it is occurring at all though.

It is quite the pickle. The trans and v drives are that complex and could be removed and dissambled to try and find out what the problem is. Have you recorded this noise and tried to get your dealers service dept to go to bat with Indmar? If the dealer can provide proof to Indmar they might pre authorize tearing them down to see what the issue is....then again they might not. Either way its obvious you are frustrated.

Really about your only option to get away from the Raptor right now would be MC, Nautique, or Fineline(Centurion and Supreme). I heard Malibu was going to start doing their own engines as well but I haven't seen one yet....

Comment

Wish we lived by you... Yes, I recorded it last year but need to get another recording as I think that one got deleted over the long winter in MN. I like Centurion but Tige has them beat by a long shot on the fit and finish as well as extras like underwater lights, blade lights, ect. I also understand that Indmar has gone to a different gearing 2 to 1? on their transmissions. Probably would have solved my little problem. We really like our boat so it will be a future decision but it takes me awhile to fall in love again : )

Comment

2:1 is an option on some models. Not sure what sales options are these days....has gotten to hard to keep up with the offerings across 5 brands. You can also get a 1.76 to 1 I believe but don't quote me on that.

I would try to get some evidence on your issue and then see if Indmar will authorize a teardown. They might not, but its a different route than saying "Needs replaced for this noise" Sometimes its how you play the game when it comes to getting warranty work paid out.

Comment

Working...
              X