2016 R21 surf system not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 R21 surf system not engaging

I have a 2016 R21. Has anyone had issues with the surf system not engaging. Started acting up end of summer 2019. Left side wouldn’t engage. Dealer replaced left side actuator and did a computer upgrade. First time back in water 2020 still not working and now right side working intermittently.  Has anyone had issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what side are you trying to surf and what actuator was replaced?? Just asking because its the starboard actuator that deploys for the regular wave(left).

Theres a demo mode at the screen. Its been a while since I've played with a 2016 R series but IIRC you have the 4" screen. You should be able to go to demo mode in the dealer screen to test actuators. 9191 to enter and try a surf demo.

Sounds like actuators tho. Is your TAPS plate working consistently (center trim tab)

Comment

We tried both sides. Until today the right side worked fine. The left actuator was replaced by the dealer.
      The center plate works fine. Now neither left or right plate works and the left has play in it moving toward the bottom of the deck plate. Haven’t tried the demo mode. I think the left actuator isn’t right but now just confused why the right will not work now.

Comment

In general they take in some water and die because there's an electric motor inside of them that shorts/rusts/ etc.

Your actuator connects to the swim deck yea?? If so, some of those plates would cam over the wrong direction and get stuck as well(not all boats had this issue).You will need an extra set of hands and be in surf demo mode to confirm if this is the issue.

Comment

We got in the demo mode by using 9191 but still all the moves is the middle plate. When we adjust taps it doesn’t move.

Comment

Any word on what the issue was? I have a 17 R21 where the surf plates intermittently work. Taps plate always works.

Comment

Could be a the actuator doesn’t deploy when it’s under load. I found mine worked fine in dealer mode on the trailer, which is basically useless to me since it’s pretty hard to surf on a boat on the trailer. I had to end up getting both of the actuators replaced.

Comment

Working...
              X