Need Help-Transmission!!! Just bought a new 2020 R23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help-Transmission!!! Just bought a new 2020 R23

I traded my 2010 RZ2 today for a 2020 R23 with tons of upgrades. This is my 3rd tige and each model/year has had it's own nuances to get used too.

The boat has 4 hours on it and when I test drove the boat the transmission had a loud whine to it. I ask the sales guys and they said all of the new tige's have this. i bought it but after driving it for a couple of hours the whine is crazy loud at all speeds. It does get quieter at 30 mph but below 30 mph it's extremely noticeably.

Is this normal? ideas on fixing it? The dealer is over 3 hours from me and I'm hoping as it breaks in that noise will go away.

I appreciate any insight

I also have a R series boat with likely similar drive train as yours (Indmar). The boat does "seem" pretty loud in general, and installing Fresh Air Exhaust did not make a significant difference for me, which makes think that the engine/transmission is mainly contributing to the noises I am hearing. Difference for me though is that the noise increases with speed, and getting past the break in hours did not quiet the noise.

Comment

my old 22ve was a pcm motor and it was pretty quiet. current z3 has indmar and it's much louder. lots of tranny/vdrive whine.
      we have learned to live with it.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

What transmission it is? Do you hear it in forward and reverse? I wonder if the noise comes from a specific gear ratio. My 2:1 ratio makes no noticeable noise.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!! I noticed on the second time out that if you sit in the rear by the engine much quieter but in the middle and driver seat still a whine.

I did talk to the Tige folks and they ask for a video or sound recording. They said the same thing that with the raptor and velvet drive they are louder with a whine vs. my old PCM.

I hear it only in forward and it does get lower around 31 mph.

I will let everyone know what the feedback is after I send them a video. At this point we're just enjoying the boat and wave!

Comment

I am experiencing the same thing on my 2020 R23. for sure more noise than my 2015. Tempted to try some sound proofing/ weather strip on the floor/rear seat.

Comment

yeah we were out all weekend and the whine gets louder up to 30 and then levels off.. I was talking about doing sound proofing also... Was thinking i would wait till the off season but if you try it please let me know.

I was thinking the soundproofing they use in cars to dampen the stereo vibrations etc.. unless there is a marine grade for boats...

I love the boat but can't say it isn't a little annoying vs. my RZ2.

Comment

https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...or-motor-noise

Comment

I have a 19, and it whines pretty good in reverse but not forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for the link that helps!

Comment

I just pretend the whine is a supercharger whine and I splashed big cash for big power!

Comment

I want to give an update.... At this point I took the plastic engine/walk thru cover and used second skin sound proofing, wrapped weather stripping around outside of cover and replaced the rubber stoppers on top of the metal engine railing to close the gap around holes.

This made a huge difference and to us you can now have a conversation at 30 mph without the whining noise making you speak louder. I have the surf exhaust pipe

I intend to use automotive door seal around the floor portion that flips up.. That is the last area that sound could be escaping without having to go thru the fiberglass.

Making progress!!

Comment

Originally posted by txtige View Post
                          I want to give an update.... At this point I took the plastic engine/walk thru cover and used second skin sound proofing, wrapped weather stripping around outside of cover and replaced the rubber stoppers on top of the metal engine railing to close the gap around holes.

This made a huge difference and to us you can now have a conversation at 30 mph without the whining noise making you speak louder. I have the surf exhaust pipe

I intend to use automotive door seal around the floor portion that flips up.. That is the last area that sound could be escaping without having to go thru the fiberglass.

Making progress!!
                          That's interesting. I started with the floor/center rear seat part that flips up. I put on weather stripping to cover all the gaps I can see, and I feel like that has made a noticeable difference. The annoying high pitched sound is now mostly gone, and noise is more muted/muffled. I don't *know* whether it made it quieter, but it sure seems that way. Based on the results you are seeing, I guess I may tackle the engine cover tray next.

One question in my mind is whether sealing up all the openings to the engine compartment has any effect on ventilation. I would not think it matters, but I seem to recall my old sterndrive boat's manual telling me to turn the blower on when travelling below a certain speed.

Comment

I will say that this past weekend we turned on surf go and putted while the tanks were filling up. I'd say for several 100 yards and i did get a fault code about some sensor but after it cleared ( i opened the engine cover) the fault code never came back on... Saying that the next time we surfed we just idled and it's never happened again.

Not saying the two are connected but since you mentioned it I thought i would let you know.

Comment

Working...
                            X