Broken Bow Lake rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Bow Lake rookie

We’re first timers at Broken Bow Lake this week. Are there must see areas, or dangerous areas to avoid (tree stumps, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey CtxAggie - This is Cgaggie!
    We go at least once a year and absolutely LOVE it...
    Assume you are staying in the Hochatown area? Cabins are incredible...
    We launch at Beavers Bend Marina and then typically head due east across the lake - lots of protected coves - great for both water sports and anchoring/swimming.
    We will also head up north and find coves on east and west sides of the lake - Typically depends on prevailing wind direction and boat traffic, but you can almost always find a great spot.
    Never (knock on wood) have had issue with stumps or other dangerous spots - but maybe someone else can comment

We always visit Grateful Head Pizza (usually call ahead and take it to go) - It can get crowded and slow, but pizza is great

Awesome lake - Have fun!

Comment

The cliffs at the far North/East End of the lake are a great place to jump off of or just hang out. I wouldn't drop an anchor near the cliffs though as its very rocky and you may not get it back. Kayaking the Lower Mountain fork river is another good place to go when you're not boating.

Its pretty deep there so you shouldn't have to worry too much about stumps.

I have found the best coves at the north end of the lake depending on wind direction. Its definitely gotten more popular when we first started going back in 2007.

34888642910_a52495ea8e_c.jpg

Comment

I’ve been very intrigued about broken bow too. Looked like there’s lots of cabin to rent, but not on the water. What’s the best ramps to use?

Comment

I typically launch at Carson Creek, but I believe theres only two ramps. Carson Creek and the only marina there.

Comment

We typically use Beavers Bend Marina - no charge, nice ramp, fuel/convenience store. Only challenge is trailer parking on a super busy weekend. Some of the truck/trailer parking spots are really narrow and even the overflow parking area can get full. Never had too much trouble, just something to consider if you are getting to the lake later in the morning on a busy weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by cgaggie View Post
              We typically use Beavers Bend Marina - no charge, nice ramp, fuel/convenience store. Only challenge is trailer parking on a super busy weekend. Some of the truck/trailer parking spots are really narrow and even the overflow parking area can get full. Never had too much trouble, just something to consider if you are getting to the lake later in the morning on a busy weekend.
              Do you consider noon to be later? I can’t get my wife moving and out the door faster than noon

Comment

LOL... same with my wife and daughters
                Worst case is you will have to park up the hill and walk a bit, but not that big a deal.
                Carson will be less crowded, but we always use the big marina.

Comment

Ahhh.... Free boat ramps... I remember the good old days on west texas lakes where that is the case..

Comment

There’s a marina on lake ray Hubbard that charges $20 to launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                      There’s a marina on lake ray Hubbard that charges $20 to launch.
                      There isn't a free boat ramp on lake travis... When the lake was super low a few years ago, I only knew of one or two functional ramps - One place charged 40 bucks and it was packed.

Comment

Lake Grapevine public ramps (e.g. Katies Woods) charges $5, but Silver Lake charges $20 and it just around the corner from the public ramp. Eagle Mountain Lake is also $20.

Comment

Working...
                        X