Insurance "lay up" provision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance "lay up" provision

Ok, you Fl. and Southern Ca. people can go back to your knitting, because you may not be able wrap your mind around this. Specifically, due to a variety of factors, including living in North Idaho, my boating season is June-October, 4 months. So, my current insurance company out of the goodness of their heart will give me a 2% "layup" rebate, for using my boat 33% of the year. I understand comprehensive coverage should be all year, but it's stored in a locked garage. I thought about cancelling at the end of the season, then re-establishing every year, but my question is this; does anyone have an insurance company that provides a better credit for a "layup" period?
    Thanks
    2020 25ZX Red, White And Blue, #Take Them Boating

Originally posted by zich6 View Post
    Ok, you Fl. and Southern Ca. people can go back to your knitting
    LOL - LOVE IT! So should we go back to our knitting, or our 12 months of boat use? Decisions, Decisions!!! LOL

Comment

Do you keep it at home? Does your homeowners cover it if it gets hit by a freak moose breakin?

The biggest question would be if you go 6 months without coverage do they charge you a fortune to renew?

Also if it’s financed your bank probably makes you cover it.

Good luck brother

Edit: I recognize I didn’t answer your question. I’m sorry. I don’t know but our season in Texas is basically 12 months too, so not familiar with refunds for shorter seasons. I’d think that’s factored into the premium with a lot of companies. I’ll go back to smoking a brisket or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BrentP; 05-28-2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

ski safe has insured my boats since day one. they offer a decent discount for a layup period. in idaho/wisconsin I did from oct1 to april1 but now in las vegas I do dec 1 to march 1 iirc. discount is the same no matter the time line but they did say it had to be 90 days.
        we are paying $340/yr for insurance and believe it was just over 5 bills for same coverage all year. worth the discount since we don't boat in the winter.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

You guys are great and funny. It will be stored in a garage when layed up, so no moose worries, though the brisket sounds good. I'm a Certified Master BBQ judge. I guess I need to shop around.
          2020 25ZX Red, White And Blue, #Take Them Boating

Comment

Working...
          X