No announcement yet.

2008 22VE beginner questions/random info help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WRT FAE... not sure when Tige switched to PCM engines but our 2009 with the EX343 is so quiet we've had multiple people tell us an FAE would not improve it. Just something especially quiet about the EX343's setup in that era. I suspect the CAT exhaust helps too.

Comment

id, our old 22ve was the same way. ex343 was a great motor and super quiet. our z3 is quite noisy but it's not the motor, it's the rest of the powertrain. fae would not help us much.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will have to see what difference it makes. My 2008 has the Marine Power 5.7L MPI V8 Vortec. I hope it makes a difference. I know the boat is fairly loud now. I plan on getting it out this week. I'll report back.

Comment

Mine has the same motor. Dual exhaust. I think it sounds pretty good. Lol. But not worth the carbon monoxide poisoning.

The vDrive whine is louder then the engine IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Took the FAE on the water for the first time yesterday. It was truly much quieter. Especially at the lower speeds. Idling the boat was unbelievably quiet. At surf speeds it was also significant. We were able to hold conversations in the boat at a more "normal" volume level while someone was surfing. The person surfing and the people sitting towards the back were able to hear each other much easier. I could even hear the person in the water when they were getting set up to surf and not have to almost yell to ask if they are ready or whatever. We also pulled a tube for a while at a bit faster speed and the people sitting in the bow were literally having a normal conversation and I could hear most of what they were saying while driving. We also didn't have the music blasting to just hear it while surfing. It was still loud but much more clear and easy to hear.

Overall, it was a significant improvement on sound level. Family is impressed and liked it a lot. Success in my opinion. It stayed on with no issues and is as tight and solid as ever.

I'll report back any changes or other info. And of course, ask more questions.

Side note: Unfortunately, we watched a very nice boat go up in flames on the water. We don't know what happened to the people on board. We arrived a few minutes after it went up. We were about 100 yards away and could feel the heat. Not fun to watch. IMG_9034.jpeg
            Last edited by rcwso; 06-10-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

is that mead?
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Yes.

Comment

RCWSO- the best mount for the FAE is the trim tab (TAPS plate) brackets. You use the existing screw holes for the TAPS plate so there is no drilling extra holes in the transom. Another advantage is the FAE is supported without being attached to the swim deck so you have the freedom to remove the swim deck at any point without touching the FAE.

Comment

Jet, it connects like that right out of the box? Easy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

JetDriver and BrentP,
                      I mounted mine to the trim tab area. Photos are below. The test drive worked great. No issues. Couldn't be more pleased.

IMG_8507.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rcwso View Post
                        Anyone with the FAE can you tell me if you used the "lock screws" on the 3-piece set-up to prevent some rotation of the downpipe? The instructions say they are "optional" or to wait for a few outings to see if it rotates on its own at all. Any issues with rotation of the downpipe? Thanks.
                        leave those set screws out at first so that you can adjust the down tube to the angle that you prefer. And after you are happy with everything go back and use the set screws that seems to work very well.
                        Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
                        X