Don't make this $1K launch mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't make this $1K launch mistake!

Let me just start by saying that I have launched inboard boats hundreds of times and never had this happen...

More times than not - I unhook winch strap to the front of the boat at the top of the launch, then back the boat down the ramp and my wife drives the boat off. Takes a few seconds and also keeps me from getting wet! (drives me nuts to watch people take 15 minutes to launch their boat!)

We received 2020 23ZX a few weeks ago and about the 4th time out this happened:

I pulled boat in position to back down the ramp, unhooked the bow winch strap, and backed down the ramp. Just as back bunks hit the water, I looked back and saw the bow of the boat sticking straight up in the air! Back of the boat slammed onto the concrete (awful frickin noise!) and scraped its way into the water. I was sure that I ripped off the rudder and did major fiberglass damage. I pulled boat back on trailer and was delighted to see that the prop had taken all of the impact. No other damage! Had everything checked out and confirmed that prop was only thing damaged.

After new prop, everything working fine (WHEW!!!) - Never been so glad to replace a prop!

I have checked with several other people, including our dealership, and nobody has heard of this happening. I would guess it has to do with slope of the ramp, new (slick?) trailer bunks?, and obviously the heavier back-end of the newer surf boats.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up and hopefully save it from happening to you!

Have a great boating season!! Here's picture of bent prop...

Prop.jpg

Jeebus that's rough but glad it was an easy fix!

I never do it that way for this very reason. I always though it was an irrational fear but better safe than sorry. Seems it's not so irrational haha.

I back in until I see the boat float on the trailer then unhook the bow stap and climb in. The wife parks the trailer and I grab her at the dock.

Send that prop to acme or Nettle Props to be fixed and keep it as a backup. Will be cheaper than buying a new one.

Comment

Thanks - I am getting the prop repaired... Always good to have a spare...

Comment

I see most people launch this same way and have never seen an issue. Glad the prop was the only thing damaged. I’m with Sonic on this one though. I only unhooked the boat once it’s floating in the water and push/drive the boat off the trailer. Still every time I watch someone unhook their boat before launching it just creeps me out.

Comment

In my line of work I have had too many issues so the last thing I want to happen is the boat to float off the trailer before I can test everything. I always start engine, check bilge then release the cable. Sucks this happened! Glad nothing else was damaged.
          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Man i can hear that noise now.... Good deal it was jut the prop!

Comment

ouch!! I do the same thing at my local ramp but it's not very steep. At launches that I don't know as well I won't do it.

Glad you got off lucky. Surprised the strut didn't bend under the weight.

Comment

Wow!!! Freaking scary... hmmm... might have to rethink my launch technique.

Comment

Any chance there was some ballast left in the rear or that the trailer is not setup right and the boat is aft heavy on the trailer? This is odd on bunk trailers, as opposed a roller bunk trailer.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Good thinking Mike. I can't believe the prop shaft didn't bend.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Definitely no ballast in any of the tanks.
                      I agree this is odd... Never heard of this happening and doesn't seem logical... Particularly with bunk trailers... but it happened!
                      Not a ramp I typically use - I didn't pay too much attention after the incident, but I believe the ramp was fairly steep. Water levels at the lake were maybe a foot above normal, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

So crazy man. Maybe Tige should get some pictures. They can recreate the old "Hang the Ford by the trailer hitch" commercial "Tige: So well built you can drag it by the prop"

Glad your girl made it out safe. Hopefully the shop checked the prop shaft alignment

For the record, my dad is super guilty of launching boats without the front strap. I'm sending him this picture.
                        Last edited by BrentP; 05-22-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I was worried about prop shaft too... but prop took the entire brunt of it... We have replaced prop and been out several times - Running like a champ!

Comment

I think there is something wrong with this happening. Glad to hear there was not more damage.

Who was in the boat? I could maybe see this happening if only the prop was in the water, the wife fires it up and puts it in reverse before the bunks are under water. The boat would then essentially fall off the back of the trailer into the shallow water.

Or more likely you had slick bunks and as you slowed down, it just slid off, rather than floated off. Fortunately, it didn't happen higher up the ramp.

Having seen dozens of pictures of boats that slid off the trailer, I always keep the strap attached until I am very close or in the water. A quick google search produces hundreds of pictures actually.

Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Ouch! I’m with Koolaid on this one though. My bow strap never comes off until the boat is in the water running. Grew up with an old boat of my uncles that you never knew if it was going to start or stay running. Sucks being “that guy” that’s swimming the boat back to the trailer at the launch ramp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X